1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Service

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Geoffduk, Apr 19, 2018.

1. 80824F34-0A65-4525-8997-E5A37FAE0306.jpeg Started to service my 1098 at the end of last year and found some small fragments of metal when I removed the mesh filter. Note: initially only small parts. These parts looked like they had sequenced through the gear box with teeth marks. Parts were non magnetic and seeked advice by showing to various ducati techs. All but one said no problem, probably left over from machining. Doubt it with nearly 60k but never mind. The one exception was John Cellier aka ducati John that thought it was parts of the piston skirt. Anyway now I have time to investigate with my endoscope and further digging around inside the crankcase and look what I’ve found. I’ve identified the parts from looking at pic of a piston. The large chunk is the piston skirt. Full marks to John based on only some small parts.
    In the process of removing the heads and barrels to investigate further.
    Thing is on my last run at the end of last year covered some 250 miles - stopped bike and wheeled into garages. No noises , lack of power etc. Carrying out service and found this. Amazing.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wow...

3. 332D4426-62A1-42CC-A9F5-88BC9F004D05.jpeg 491EC573-E02E-49C7-88AD-6172F67DEA9E.jpeg
    Removed heads etc yesterday and here’s the offending piston. Pic 1 horizontal and pic 2 is vertical cylinder. Looks like a shark has bitten a chunk from my piston and spat it out. Amazing. Will post other pics showing what a 60k engine looks like internally i.e carbon buildup on valves etc. Zero play in mains. Zero scoring in barrel but several very faint lines running down bore. Not scratched but faint lines. Taking barrel to local engineer that does engine work and has internal bore measuring device to check if it’s still concentric. Have been in touch with moto rapido and will replace both pistons and possibly barrel depending on outcome on Monday. Worst case scenario looking at 2k i.e piston (£350), barrel and piston (£1200), gaskets etc (£300). Full engine on eBay £2500 but now sold. Already have set of new belts as only discovered problem whilst servicing. Pisses me off spares are so expensive.
    Suppose saving money doing my own work.

4. IMAG0075.jpg Try Luigi Moto in Bristly. When my 999 scored a barrel he had a spare used set on the shelf.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thanks. Tried him - nothing. found a new horizontal barrel and piston for sale that fits my bike as it’s listed as a 02a that’s compatible with post 8560 engine numbers. Have emailed the guy to check where he got the number as there nothing on the barrel to confirm this. Needs original packaging or something. Awaiting a reply. Ducati have since superseded this number and now only offer one for all engine numbers - strange ?

6. Any clues as to why the piston failed??

7. I seem to recall a few 1098's have had cracked pistons, didn't @Nelson have one go on one of his builds?
    Steve

8. Yeah John knows his stuff.

9. Yup - cracked piston then the bottom end went. Those early 1098 engines are shite!
    Plus sprag and starter gear!

IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

#9 Nelson, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  10. Not got a clue. Owned from new and never been tracked and don’t thrash my bike. Never hit the limiter etc.
    Visited Ducati John some months ago and he informed me he’d seen several instances of failed pistons on early 1098 engines but wasn’t widely advertised by Ducati of course. He did point out these were low mileage bikes whilst I’ve nearly 60k so lasted longer. Bike has full stamped ducati service history until last year but now retired and more than capable I decided to carry out all my own work and find this. Thing is dealer very rarely removed mesh filter so chances are they would have missed it as bike was running fine. Advantage of carrying out your own servicing as you can be more thorough and not have to pay £90/hour for the privilege.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Never had problem with starter etc. No play in bottom end so let’s hope I don’t suffer any issues later. Mine is a 2007 tricor which I think is early and apart from piston can’t fault engine. Rectifier failed last year and replaced with improved mosfet unit. Hope not tempting fate. Could open up cases all part of the learning curve and replace with apparently stronger 999 mains but then costs really escalates and I just want to get bike back on the road.

12. Doesn't surprise me it's a 2007.
    I'd be looking at a used (later) engine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Never had problem with starter etc. No play in bottom end so let’s hope I don’t suffer any issues later. Mine is a 2007 tricor which I think is early and apart from piston can’t fault engine. Rectifier failed last year and replaced with improved mosfet unit. Hope not tempting fate. Could open up cases all part of the learning curve and replace with apparently stronger 999 mains but then costs really escalates and I just want to get bike back on the road.
    Great. Sent him an email.

14. Not ideal but how many 1098’s do you know that’s covered 60k. I suppose my monster with 160k miles has intact pistons and was hoping for the same.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mine had done a lot less.
    Good luck all the same.

16. Thanks. Looking at my other barrel I can see very faint lines also ie definitely not scratches. Maybe barrel ok. Going to have both bores checked on Monday with bore gauge. Also waiting on reply regarding complete engine.

17. Well I’ve sent both barrels to langcourt for evaluation namely condition of coating, ovality and taper. Personally I can clearly see the cross hatch pattern but there are several straight very faint lines - not scratches on both cylinders. They offer a re-plate service and fit to a new set of pistons for £105 + vat per cylinder. Somewhat confused with details given in the ducati service manual as ducati list three grades of pistons which should be matched with a barrel. They only list one part number for the piston, available separately, whilst the barrel/piston as a matched set. Phoned several reputable ducati dealers - rapido, Coventry and pro twins but none the wiser. Not an issue I’ve been advised but if you say put a grade A piston into grade C barrel with tolerance at two extremes you’re at the wear limit. Langcourt will replate to match a piston so after evaluation it’s my intention to send a new set of pistons to them for matching by replating if required.
    One thing raised by all is “ shit main bearing “ and to ditch bearings and replace nearly all bearings within the crankcase as will fail soon ! Great if you have a large wallet. Where does it end with 60k bike - starter motor, sprag, rockers, valves, valve guides, gears etc. Appreciate advice on the eBay engine but then it’s the early 1098 with the shit bearings I’ve been told so if I bought it, do I then strip and replace all these shit internals at large expensive.
    I was advised by many that my monster 1000 was on its last legs at 80k with a much needed engine rebuild as they can’t cover these mileage’s without it. Monster used for commuting 52 weeks a year in all weathers - start/stop many times and sprag lasted to 100k. Now at 160k I’ve just replaced both exhaust valves and guides. Decided to give her a face lift also but apart from that she was going strong.
    Anyway I do appreciate the advice I’ve been given but generally just throws up more confusion but you expect that I suppose.
    Will see what langcourt say and will update.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Langcourt have confirmed my barrels are both fine with a diameter of 104.020mm putting the barrel into class B confirming the ducati stamp. This is the upper limit for class B and borders Lower C. Have ordered pistons and gaskets from moto rapido but it’s a bit of a lottery what class will arrive. Piston to bore ranges from 0.085 to 0.105mm. Worst case scenario a class A arrives at the lower limit (103.905) giving a piston to bore of 0.115mm. Immediately out if spec and I need to get my barrels replated for perfect fit. Very important for these short height pistons to minimise the rocking effect apparently. Best case scenario for my barrels is the class C upper (103.935mm). Thus gives the desirable lower 0.085mm piston to barrel clearance.
    Think I need to get out more !

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. I'm a bit shocked that Ducati manufacture to grade A, B and C tolerances but only supply one size fits all replacements! Good luck with your rebuild Geoff.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information