1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Engine Stalled While Clutch In (occasionally)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Oeths, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Hey guys, just got the 1200S DVT in July.
    Bike has no major issues except one, the engine will occasionally cut off during low speed clutch in.
    Press the start button the engine came alive.
    This had been happend for at least 10-15 times since day one.
    Bike mileage is 7000 KM now.
    My bike always properly warmed up before riding, ambient temperature here is around 25-33deg C

Anyone experience the similar issue, how to solve this?

2. go straight to 1:47

3. May well be the side stand switch, (this is a common problem.)

Or possibly an O2 sensor, I had similar issues with mine when coasting up to a stop.

4. Get that seen too! Well strange'

5. Your tickover revs might be a tad low and a Throttle Position Sensor reset might help. Andy

6. I hope so
    Will let dealer know
    I did a search, the possible causes are sidestand switch, engine cut off switch, ECU
    Yes, but luckily this only happen at low speed so far

Tickover revs? The clutch was fully pulled in And the engine stay at normal idle RPM for 1 second before cut off.
    Engine idle rpm seems fluctuating at times.
    I had the Throttle position sensor reset two weeks ago for jerking throttle response.

7. Clutch dragging little bit? check the clutch bite point and maybe bleed the system? That's if none of the above work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just had a talk with the service manager, he mentioned about this too.
    He will send the video to Ducati HQ.
    I'm going overseas for one week and i'll leave the bike at the dealer for troubleshooting.
    Will update here the outcome

9. Just collected the bike back from dealer two days ago.
    What they did :
    - throttle body reset
    - O2 sensor reset
    - butterfly valve reset
    - they try to ride with cold engine in the morning but could not replicate the problem
    -no error show on Ducati diagnostic computer

Just this morning while commute to work it happen again!
    Engine temp was around 60-70 deg C

What should I do now?

#9 Oeths, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  10. side stand switch. put it on a centre stand, or rear paddock stand. Put in gear and then wiggle the cable at the lowest point where it connects to the side stand and see if it cuts out

11. Yes agree and its a cheap and quick part to sort, sidestand switch - mine is bypassed (theres a plug you can buy) but if your bike in warranty, get it replaced.

Also, I have had 3 start/kill switches replaced over the last 5 years, the first time the first failed I was doing 80 in the fast lane on the m25 and the bike simply "shut down" and I had to coast to the hard shoulder across all the traffic, ever since then if I hear about a mts shutting off inexplicability, I recommend typically its either of these - others have had the same. So get this done also (however it needs the fairing and tank off so dealers typically are relunctant to do it as its an hours work) - but push for it....

12. You couldn't have put it into gear with the stand down could you?

13. Worth noting if you've added new levers or grip-puppies you need to ammend the bite point as already mentioned for the clutch.

14. Thanks
    I'll definitely try this
    Thanks
    I'll try to talk to the dealer again
    The real problem is there is no fault/error code

No, the sidestand was up

Stock lever but i have the grip puppies installed.
    the stall issue happen right on the bike collection day, mileage less than 30km ...

I did a search, this seems to be a common issue on ducati bikes.
    the problem gone after adjusting air bleed screw on throttle body.
    The screw adjustment increase/decrease the engine idle rpm.
    Anyone know where is the bleed screw on MTS DVT?
    I found nothing about this screw on the bike workshop manual.

Help...where are the throttle body air bleed screws? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
    See post #15, that's the screws for MTS 2011

15. Someone advise me remove EVAP canister might help.
    One week after removed EVAP canister, bike engine stalled twice today.
    Anyone has Ducati Italy email address?
    I wanna contact them regarding this issue since local dealer cant do anything

16. Bike is with dealer for major troubleshooting. The loan bike (MTS dvt base model) has exactly the same issue as mine.
    Is this part of the Ducati bike characters?

17. I had this issue initially but it was fixed with a new kill switch. It seems odd that a new DVT would exhibit the same symptoms (mine has never done this) I wonder if it may be something to do with your riding style or the local air temperature being higher than normal?

18. I really hope it's the kill switch issue.
    Yes, i heard that too from the dealer mechanic as well, DVT engine has this issue.
    It happen mostly in the morning, it happens lesser in warmer condition.
    Engine temperature seems normal when it cut off.
    I'll be really pissed if the dealer/ducati cant solve this after major tear down at workshop

19. You using good quality fuel?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information