1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Eodb - Error Code 11.2

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by ukducatiman, Aug 6, 2017.

1. The dreaded orange light came on during a ride the other week and has stayed on. The bike starts and runs just fine but I need to investigate. The error code links to 'injector 1 short-circuit to ground'. Anybody know where this is located and a possible solution to clear?

2. The most likely culprit will be a relay. Cheap to replace.

3. Thanks Chris, the interesting thing is the bike runs fine. It was only during the MOT on Saturday when the tester pointed it out that I took note. Up till then I had thought it was the service reminder light, doh. I only use the bike about four time a year and one of those is the MOT run!

The only other things to mention are the clock re-set itself and there seems to be a fair amount of clicking & whirring noise for about 10 -15 seconds after the bike is turned off. Never notice it before, but now I'm looking for something........

4. Electrical gremlins normally means new ignition/coil/pump relay

5. Revisiting this after the bike failed to start back in Oct 18. Back then the EML stayed on all the time storing error 11.2 (vertical cylinder coil short circuit to ground). After a number of failed attempts to resolve, including fitting a 'new' battery I put the bike on an ultimate 4 and left in winter storage.

Yesterday I decided to start a project to fix the above issues. I could not believe it when the bike fired up first time and no EML! The bike rain sweetly for about fire minutes at which point The EML came on and after another couple of minutes the bike just stopped. On further attempts to start it turned over showing no sign of starting. Checking the error codes 11.2 was back and this time with 13.2 (injector OK short circuit to ground). At this point I checked the plugs (x4) were all sparking ok, which they were.

So to proceed further I stripped off all the bodywork and removed the tank, a most interesting experienced for anybody who has not worked on an early Multistrada! From there I used a meter to buzz out the injectors and coils, which all seemed ok. I then used an old trick to check the injectors. Basically you place a screw driver on each injector and listen on the other end. On turning over the engine the vertical injector is not clicking as per the front. I also cleaned and reconnected the items back into the loom which has removed the 11.2 error. First win

So looking to get a replacement injector, seen a few on flee bay but would rather get new. Will call up my local Ducati dealer tomorrow to see if they are still available. Hopefully I can source one quickly and get this sorted once and for all.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1020.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. :upyeah:Well done. Keep posting the updates, this is all good shared knowledge for others

7. It's not the dreaded faulty relay is it?

8. Already replaced back in Oct last year, but a good call. One thing I did note was the ecu pulsing the injector +12v when the ignition was turned on. I'm assuming dependent on the resistance it gets back it can determine the status of the injector and hence the error code. Be interesting to get an opinion on this?

9. So over the last two weekends I’ve completed the following:
    Day 1
    1. Checked I was getting a good spark from both set of plugs (OK).
    2. Removed all the bodywork and tank.
    3. Replaced the vertical coil & injector (new parts).
    4. Removed the horizontal injector and cleaned.
    5. Removed & cleaned all the connectors I could identify.
    6. Re-assembled (refitting the tank was a competed bastard, I’m sure it had changed shape!)
    7. Put in fresh fuel.

Once re-assembled I turned the key and the bike initialised and the EML went out. I checked (holding button A) and no errors were being recorded. On attempting to start it took a few goes but then caught and fired up. Happy days or so I thought! But the same pattern followed. After about 5 minutes the engine management light came on and the bike died and would not start again. This time just the 11.2 error code returned 13.2 had gone.

Day 2
    1. Replaced the engine senor and shim (both new parts) & set a gap of 0.7mm (as specified in the manual).
    2. Checked earth OK.
    3. Changed the ECU (I have a spare).
    4. Changed the injector / fuel pump relay (new item,again).
    5. Deleted the old stored error codes via ScanM5X diagnostic software.

note: I tried to start the bike after each step, without success.

Current status - when turning the key to the on position the bike initializes without any errors and EML goes out. If I listen carefully I can hear a couple of clicks (relays engaging, I guess). On hitting the stat button the engine turns over fine but wont fire up or seems likely to do so. when I turn the key to the off position I hear some whirring noise for a few seconds.

Final step was to again remove the plugs and check for a good spark Ok, noting that the plugs were wet. It seems I have compression, fuel and a good spark, so I'm stumped at this point. Any suggestions where next to look would be much appreciated.

#9 ukducatiman, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. I am pleased to report that the culprit to my non starting bike has been identified. It was the wiring which passes through the fuel pump flange into the inside of the tank.

So how did we get there?

Step #1
    Removed the plugs and poured a small amount of petrol into both cylinders. On hitting the start button, the bike fired straight away, confirming the fuel delivery issue.

Step #2
    Pulled off the two fuel lines from the pump and ‘mopped up’ a small amount of residual fuel. Turned the ignition key to on, and nothing came out of the pump. Hit the start button, still nothing. Therefore, it is definitely the pump!

Step #3
    Removed the pump assembly and moved away from the bike (just in case we made a spark). Put 12v directly onto the motor, which spun up just fine. We next carefully examined the connector, which has four wires (2 x fuel gauge and 2 x pump). During a continuity check, we discovered the red was only making an intermittent connection. A gentle pull and it came out. All the other wires were firmly in place. Interestingly the cables are buried in a type of electrolyte casing, which we scrapped out to find four solder points. We quickly made a temporary repair and retried the assembly back on the bike. On turning the key, the motor spun up, just as it should.

Time for a couple of cool beers : ))

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information