1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Eprom Back-to-back Comparison

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TNR, Jun 2, 2020.

1. A few months ago, I picked up a NOS Ultimap chip in a clearance sale for only $60.
    Today was the day to install.

To make it interesting, how about we go ride a 5 mile loop, change the chips and see if there's any difference?

Gear on, start bike, let idle at 1000rpm for a couple of minutes while I get the helmet sorted.
    Out onto a 50mph limit backroad and give it a bit of fang. Bike seems to run well enough, although as per normal, midrange is lacking. But that's just the way a 916 is, right?

Home again, tail up, P8 out, bottom lid open:

20200601_155737.jpg

20200601_160951.jpg

So ok, it has a FBF chip not an OEM ducati one, but I'm still hopeful there will be at least some difference.. The FBF chip made the bike run too rich anyway, so less carbon buildup on plugs & exhaust will be appreciated.

Out she comes, and in goes the UM061. A chip designed for a 916 Strada with Termis, which is very handy as I happen to have a 916 Strada with Termis.

20200601_161824.jpg

20200601_161459.jpg

Now, when these came out FIM made some bold claims: Improved top end power... Cleaner acceleration... Better throttle response... Smoother running. Really?

2019-12-20 23.17.41.jpg

Only one way to find out.

P8 back in, turn the key, fuel pump primes and stops... new chip works. Start bike again. Idle now at 1100rpm, but a different lope.

Off we go, and before too long let's open it up.. OK! Noticeably cleaner acceleration from 3500 to 7000rpm, right in that midrange. Good stuff! Let's push it a little further in 3rd gear.... more power than the old chip at 8500? Maybe, but it seems to continue pulling up to 10,000rpm which is new. Everything just a bit more responsive.
    So far, this is clearly the best sixty bucks I've spent on the bike.

Now downshifting to a cruise, we are indeed running smoother than before. Motor now purring. Even pulling away at low revs from a stop light is easier and smoother.

I realise this is seat of the pants dyno with zero data to back it up, but overall the bike sounds better, definitely feels better to ride, and hopefully runs cleaner as well.
    If changing the mapping makes this much of a difference, what would a proper tune do to it?

I think I know where this headed...

Parked up after strenuous testing:

20200601_175105.jpg

20200601_175149.jpg

20190707_182843.jpg

#1 TNR, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 18
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. My 996 had a proper session on the dyno and had a custom chip made after the engine rebuild. Mine is so smooth and the ride is amazing.

• Like Like x 4
  3. This is exactly what I need for my 748R! It isn't the smoothest of bikes anyway, but adding the 45-50 Termi system in to the mix and it shows how badly a setup is needed!

Nice write up @TNR !

• Like Like x 1
  4. It will make it a Honda (almost). No really give it a proper tune on the dyno, makes a world difference in drive ability. I did it with my 748R/998s and two streetfighters. Trust me I know.

cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Good report, sounds like a well spent 60 bucks.

6. That bike bloody filthy....

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Two things I notice when comparing UK bikes to North America bikes (please take with a grain of salt):

1) A drier climate here means less corrosion

and 2) Frigid, long winters mean you only get to ride for six months of the year.

This results in bikes that are in better condition, with lower mileage (in general), and a lot of down time to clean!

#7 TNR, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  8. sorry to be thick but are these chips '' push in'' or do you have to solder them in or what ?????

9. Push in. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks , i supose i should look at what i have on my bike hopefully i will be able to work out what chip i have.

11. If you have a 1.6M ecu, peel the silver round sticker off, remove the black seal and your eprom should be directly below it.

You can get new silver stickers to ensure weathertightness.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. And , next stupid question, apart from e bay ,where could you buy these with the reliable info and specs.

13. FIM ceased production of Ultimap eproms in 2009, unfortunately.

So ebay is pretty much it (was where I got mine).

As others have said, you can also get custom chips made by tuners.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. epron chip.jpg this is made for early stradas with sil moto pipes as is mine.
    but im not sure ?

#14 dave slowley, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  15. but i've found mine has the 1.6 system ..........................help ?

16. I think you meant to say ‘self penetration’.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information