1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Error 34 - Pick Up

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pavey, Apr 28, 2017.

1. I had this flash up on my dash at the beginning of the week, turned the key off then on again and it went and off i went.

Yesterday it did it again after me stalling at a junction. Key off then on again and i went down to the Shell to fill up, less than 2 minutes away. Pulled in, filled up and it wouldn't start!

Called the Rac (came in 20 minutes) and it started very briefly when he first turned up (i believe the battery recovered a little bit). Hooked it up to his booster for a few minutes and she roared to life.

Reading this thread (click) it could be a number of things, has anyone here had this error?

2. Mines shows error code that when the batter is flat. Dunno why.

3. I'm wondering if i should get a new battery, can't remember how old mine is.

I had a thought, is it advisable to start the bike while it is still connected up to an Optimate, does that help at all?

4. I have noticed on my 999 that if the battery is discharged or on the way out, it will run rough at very low revs and tend to stall.

Battery option is a good shout, I reckon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Start mine all the time when connected. Never been a prob' for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. What V are you getting on the dash when running?

7. While running, around 13.8 on my dash, the RAC guys tester showed 14.0. I not too long ago fitted a Yamaha regulator which i relocated to the area where the flapper valve servo previously sat.

It's generally around 12.4 with the engine off.

8. I wouldn't do it myself. It's a trickle charger and will give you no benefit when starting. Sort out the root cause, probably the battery.

9. I use a Datatool on my 999, been going for as long as I've had the bike - more than twelve years.

I do start the bike on the trickler, but only when I forget to turn it off :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pavey did you get this sorted in the end ? My bike just started showing this error intermittently when the bike is hot and starting it again after a fuel up.
    Engine light is on with pick up 34.0 error but bike starts fine and light goes off.
    Voltages are fine on the dash

11. No, only flashed up a couple of times then didn't see it again.
    I'm sure we will reacquaint at some point in the future [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. My trickle charger just shuts down as soon as i turn on the bike. Leaving it connected will therefore do nothing.

13. I have an optimate and if i start my 916 whilst still connected it sometimes eats the rec/reg so I dont tend to anymore at £60 a pop plus new RR. Doesnt really worry my 1198 tho, but i'd still not do it if i were you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information