1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Error Code 17.2

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by postmaster, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Hi all
    L/H fan ground issue. Does anyone know the likely cause or where to start looking.
    Thanks

2. Is the fan running with ignition on?

3. Yes it is. It all started after the bike stood two days in a heavy rain. But it has been three weeks
    now in a warm dry garage. OEBD light is on.

4. This is usually an indication that the supply voltage has been inverted to the ECU. This damages the earth to the ECU. However, you may be lucky and it is just a case of drying off the fan connector and greasing with silicone grease to keep water out. If that does not work then locate the diagnostic plug. It is a 3 way Superseal connector with 2 wires into it (it should have a protective cap). Tap a wire into what would be the middle wire of the 3 connections. This is the earth. Run the wire to the -ve terminal of the battery. Does the fan stop and no EOBD?

5. OK.
    Wife is watching football now so will give your suggestions a go.
    Really appreciate your help. Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Well tried that but to no avail. Have I got the correct diagnostic connector
    Attached to battery box by rubber band?
    And 17.2 is LH fan but it is RH that is running (as sat on bike)

7. That's the correct one.

Came across a 999 exhibiting the same issue. Connected my diagnostic kit to the bike and connected to the ECU. This caused the fan to stop and the EOBD to clear. Whereabouts are you? Know anyone with JPDiag/Guzzidiag/TuneECU?

8. Hi
    IM in Spalding south lincs
    Iv got a good conection from plug to neg but it does nothing
    might have access to diag a friend is mechanic with a hand held snap on device
    will ask him in morning

9. You need DUCATI specific kit.

10. OK Looks like trip to dealer then. Thanks for your help

11. sorry to wake up an old thread but!

I'm getting code 17.2 as well doesn't spin up at startup I'm planning to pull the thermos switch cable to get it to fire up and check it any one knows what can be off?

12. Same problem - internal damage usually caused by voltage reversal or a massive spike that blows the internal connections.
    Normally done when trying to jump start a bike or fitting a battery the wrong way round.

Try Chris's tip in post #4 as you may be lucky and this can sometimes cure it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information