1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Error Code - P4031 / C0031 Speed Sensor

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Multi 1200s 2013

I have the Speed Sensor / ABS error on the display. Speedo shows zero and trip recorder not working. Bike runs Ok otherwise with the added bonus of no mileage added to the odometer :).

I have these error codes P4031 / C0031 and are for the speed sensor but for which one, the front or rear.

Any ideas will help buying the right one as they are not very cheap.
    Many Thanks

2. If you have no speedo that would suggest the rear sensor

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. @chrisw - just located the rear sensor connector ( next to the battery) - 2 pins and multimeter shows an open reading. Should have I expected some resistance?
    Cannot locate the front connector to make a comparison - assuming that they are similar sensors

• Like Like x 1
  5. The usual problem for this is that it rubs on something and cuts through the outer, then one of the inner cores.

Have a look along by the rear caliper to make sure its not been caught up by something, and by the rear wheel where it should be under the cover with the brake hose on the top of the swinging arm (if its not back in place properly it can get rubbed through by the wheel rim). Also take a look at where it goes from the swinging arm up to the under seat area.
    If you are handy with a soldering iron all you need to do is reconnect the broken wire, and put some heat-shrink over it :)

Hope that helps.

6. Still problems..
    Got a used rear sensor but still having the same problem - I wonder if this is not the speed sensor as I noticed that under the front mudguard there is another sensor closed to the front ABS sensor - it is listed as part number 55213362B (old no. 55213361A ) called "accelorometer" / "detector".

Any ideas anyone?

7. How did you read your error codes

8. Rear sensor is Speed sensor. Front sensor is ABS sensor.

9. I use MelcoDiag.

And I have an answer to my question - the accelerometer is for the suspension.

Problem still there :worried:

10. Having looked at the wiring diagram both sensors are connected to the ABS control box. It looks like the speed info is sent by Canbus to the dash from the ABS unit as the speed inputs on the ECU are not used. Could it be a faulty ABS unit?

11. @chrisw - I hope is not the ABS unit. I will check the continuity to the ABS control unit plug, that is if I can work it out.

12. Download the handbook from the DUCATI Service site. The wiring diagram is at the end of the book. It”s in pdf so you can zoom in.

13. Cheers. Kept searching the workshop manual - why in the handbook. Never mind at least is available :)

14. still suffering ........... anybody knows how to disconnect the connector from the ABS controller. i have removed the battery but cannot disconnect the connector to check continuity from the sensor connector.

BTW - Front and Rear sensors show a 700ohms resistance - same for the spare one. Safe to assume that the sensors are good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Could it be the dash itself ? Sure there was some who had dashed replaced under warranty.
    I have ordered the workshop manual so should be here in the coming days and I’ll have a look

16. Carrying on............
    Tested the cable that connects to the Rear Speed Sensor - with ignition on I had between 1.9v - 2.4v. I guess this means that this cable is OK although I thought it should be close to 12v

Another strange thing. While the sensor was disconnected I tried to switch off the ignition - it wouldn't switch off. Only way to turn it off was with the button in front of the tank under the little cover.
    With the sensor connected handlebar on/off worked OK.

• WTF WTF x 1
  17. Finally problem solved.
    Broken wire on cable connected to the Front sensor - nothing to do with the Rear sensor

• Like Like x 6
  18. Hi. how far away from the sensor was the break ? got the same issues on my MTS and peeled all the wiring back at the head stock end of the connector to no avail !! the sensor looks so snug as it forms up the fork into the front mud guard meets the Sky hook stuff then goes upwards..help going abroad in 8 days dealers need 3 weeks to book in..

19. @Xr650 - the break was close to the connector - see pictures.

It was very frustrating - Kept checking the rear sensor wiring while it was at the front. I am surprised it hasnt happened earlier - is quite tight and flexes a lot when turning the handlebars - especially to the right.
    The wire was badly corroded inside. At the end I removed about 5-6 inches and made sure the joint was not at the flex point.

I suggest you follow these steps, if not already done so.
    1. Remove the front nose fairing
    2. Lift the oil cooler
    3. Disconnect the sensor connector - connector from sensor to the cable going into the harness
    4. measure resistance of sensor - 700-800 ohms. If no resistance reverse polarity. If still no resistance the sensor is bad. I have a spare used sensor if required - bought and not used.
    5. measure voltage - harness cable. You should have voltage if no break in wire
    6. If no voltage then more than likely is broken cable
    7. Wiggle wire and you might see some voltage- on/off
    8. Strip/cut sleeve and try to find break
    Good Luck
    [​IMG]
    Original - arrow points at break

[​IMG]
    Broken wire - turned black

[​IMG]
    Job done - see how much it bends when full lock right

#19 Stavrich, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018