1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Error Code's 37.3 + 38.0

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Ryan, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hi guys so the journey begins with the 749 I bought last week.

I picked the 749 up last week.

First thing the battery needed replaced as had been off road for 2 years with no battery maintenance.

Got my new battery today and fitted it in.

Im getting engine management light on and when pressing the start button I heard a clicking noise sounded like it was coming from a relay in battery box.

Found this relay pulled it out cleaned up the contacts and sprayed with contact spray put back in.

Tried to start again this time no constant clicking from relay but still not starting.

I have noticed a Key Code indicator on dash and done some previous forum searching.

Managed to find out what error on my dash were i have error 37.3 and 38.0

It says this is something to do with imoballiser.

Question.. This bike has a Data Tool immobaliser fitted does this do away with the need for The key Pin and barrel antena?

Again I was thinking maybe get this immobaliser stripped out?

Any ideas or previous experience

2. Fit a new injector/coil/pump relay. £2.50 off eBay.

3. Hi chris is this the Relay behind the battery housing? 4pin one?

Ill get one ordered and a spare too

4. Yes. While you are in there relocate the relay to top left of battery box. There is actually a rubber fitting that will take the relay. For waterproofing some put the relay into the finger off a rubber glove and cable tie it up.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1

5. Cheers chris will give this a go hopefully will resolve this issue

6. So received my new relay today fitted it in.

I am now getting one loud click from the bike when I go to start it.

But now the fault codes are away.

The bottom right hand screen is showing battery is 11.5volts when i test it with a multi meter its showing 13volts.

Its a brand new battery but I haven't put it on an optimiser I'm wondering if i charge it over night and try it tomorrow fully charged my problem will disappear.

Just wondering whilst that is charging if anyone has any other idea what it might be?

7. Charge battery

8. Plugged battery up to optimiser and is fully charged I'm wondering if i have a weak earth.

As battery is showing 13volts on multimeter, optimiser is saying battery fully charged and healthy.

But the Ducati screen is showing 11volts and not willing to start

9. If you have some jump leads run one from the -ve on the battery to an engine or frame bolt.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Great idea chris will give this a bash keep use updated

11. So finally found the issue!!

I tried what @chrisw said with negative jump lead onto engine bolt and same issue.

I looked into what was clicking every time I pressed the start button and found the Starter Solinoid was clicking.

I took my multimeter and found 13volts on one side and 0 volts on the other when pressing the start button.

Took a bit of heavy cable I had lying around the garage and got the mrs to press the start button in, I put the cable between the input and output terminal on the started solinoid and She livessss!!!

Thanks for the help @chrisw with the relay and tips!

Sorted so Solinoid gonna get ordered up tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Update

I fitted new starter solinoid and still same issue.

Scratching my head all yesterday and today

Decided to teat the voltage onto the coil feeding the starter solinloid found I was only getting 8volts not 12volts I'm thinking broken wire somewhere time to strip bike back down a follow the wiring loom to find this broken wire/damaged wire between start ignition button and starter solenoid coil.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this specific route I'm needing to check?

13. Get a starter circuit kit from @Exige

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. Is the starter kit not for the heavy duty wiring running from the battery to the starter motor this isnt my issue.

It is the small wiring feeding the 12v coil in the starter solinoid which i now beleive is fed off the ECU so going to look at the wiring running from ECU to this coil as I think there may be an earth leakage or break in wire between there as only getting 8volts through it.

Will keep you all updated.

15. @Derek is brilliant at knowing what resistances and voltages you should get at various points.
    @chrisw is Mr ECU

• Useful Useful x 1

16. Handy to know I may need to pick these guys brains!

Wish i didnt have to work my brain is constantly thinking about this bike haha

How I'm going to explain to the mrs that im spending valentines in the garage lol

• Love You Love You x 1
  17. My battery is 5 years old and when recently charged shows 12.6v on the dash, so you would appear to have a problem there.
    Are you sure all your terminals, earths etc are clean and tight?

#17 Old rider, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Is it a positive or a negative terminal from the loom ti the battery?

Its still making me think a weak earth from ECU as that voltage reading on dash will come from ECU?

19. Your third-party alarm may be interfering.

20. Could well be but fuel pump is priming, dash is lighting up voltage is perfect when bringing starter solinoid out only issue i seem to have is voltage to this coil on starter solinoid.

The alarm is disarming no problem just seems like voltage leak as it is trying to send voltage but only 8volts instead of 12.

My other option i guess is to re route new wires to the starter solinoid and control it with the starter switch

Do Not Sell My Personal Information