1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Error Made Through Poor Advice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Daz moss, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Had a small spill last month and while recovering thought I'd slowly get some bits together and after doing some homework and taking advice from "recommended ducati people" I've bought in error,
    Alternator cover has split and have one from a 98 bike with same waterpump cover and 3 wire stator thing now no one's bothered to inform me of sensor size mine the late type (748s 2003) and cover has two bolt fixing early type what I need to know is do I bite the bullet and buy again or can this be modified?
    Cover was a bargain so it's not broke the bank buy any means
    Thanks, daz

2. The covers are interchangeable, you just need a two hole sensor, the gap will need to be set up though.

3. Cool, I've looked on the net but all I could find were two cable sensors wereas mine is a three cable one

#3 Daz moss, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  4. Maybe talking at cross purposes here? Are you meaning the pick up (timing sensor) which are either one or two hole fixing type or alternator leads?

5. Timing sensor has 3 pin plug but the old type ones I found have only two pin plug cover is the 3 wire stator type, sorry not explained very well

6. Daz, I think the 748 has always had a 3 wire (two signal and an earth screen) but not sure that later ones have the same fitting as you have discovered. Are you sure the cover is 98 and not later?

7. Definitely a 98 cover it's stamped internally everything is the same apart from the size of the sensor hole and the fittings. Looks like I'm going to have to find another seems easier to find chicken lips tho lol

8. Daz, the connector to the loom on both two and single hole fixing is the same.

Both are available on eBay - search for ducati timing sensor pick up.

9. Oh bugger. I've been looking at the wrong ones lol. Thanks for all your help dude. Can get it sorted now.

10. It would seem the title of "poor advice" and

may have been presumptive given

:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information