1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eu Imposed Speed Restrictions

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Mar 27, 2019.

?
  1. Not bother riding a bike

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Lump it and hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Think it is the right thing to do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buy a bike or keep a bike that allows you to speed for as long as possible

29 vote(s)
    90.6%
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. Future conversation:

"Why didn't you try to out-run the car -jackers?"

"Well, I was in my 2024 Bentley Continental and they were in a 20yo Ford Fiesta. I had no chance."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Good for 25000 saved lives apparently...

3. Exactly.... How often do we have to accelerate to avoid a situation?

Also, hard acceleration in 500+hp cars is good for your mental well being. I makes you laugh and whoop. Not that the grey tossers in Brussels would understand.

• Like Like x 1
  4. No excuse. Floor it!

5. I would hate to have restricted speed...except in towns/villages. There may be a case for it in 20/30mph zones where pedestrians can realistically be expected? outside schools/housing estates etc. Many people are not even aware of their speed 'around the doors'.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Old news.. lots of cars have these systems fitted already: the systems can be overridden by pressing harder on the accelerator nothing really to do with Europe. It’s only a matter of time before the override switch is disabled of course, and if we do end up in an autonomous vehicle hell then you’ll struggle to go a different speed from the other vehicles anyway: you’ll essentially travel in a chain as the cars will work together in an ant like fashion to make the most efficient use of the road: maybe there will be a opt out so cars can sit in the middle lane and hold everyone up. Volvo are limiting all their cars to 112mph from next year, given they are so safety conscious perhaps they are advocating faster speeds for countries with draconian 70mph limits? I’ll be keeping bikes and older cars and making a general nuisance of myself for some time to come

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. However, this has been in force since April 2017 with the same intention of reducing road deaths and injuries allegedly, and not just to raise money for the treasury. Exceed 101mph on a motorway - £2500 fine.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894
    That's one law that won't go away even if we do leave.

8. We shall see.

9. Eu hate spoken (again) regarding Speed restrictions and fitting speed warnings for all new cars, Trucks, Vans from 2022 I do not know if it includes bikes though but sure it will do at some point.

It certainly looks like eventually we will be electronically controlled speed wise with out a choice.

10. But it's also bollox isn't it? A 2.5k fine for exceeding the ton on a motorway is probably the max in a magistrates guidelines. No doubt reserved for motorcyclists.

I've never heard of anyone copping a 2.5k fine for exceeding the ton on a motorway. My mate was recently nicked at ~120 mph. He got a 28 day ban and 450 fine I think.

Aaaand queue all the Google hero's with examples of massive speeding fines...... :sleeping:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. If it's electric, it can be bypassed

• Like Like x 1
  12. I wonder how they will deal with places like tracks, and IOM?

13. "The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

The car will not brake automatically when the speed limit is reduced, but will give the driver a visual warning instead. It is the driver's responsibility to obey the warning."

14. I'm surprised the German auto industry isn't up in arms about this. They've made a point of marketing their cars for years based on the old "tried and tested on the autobahns" adage. German government have faced opposition every time they have tried to impose blanket speed restrictions on the autobahn network (although the proportion of unrestricted stretches are significantly reduced, compared to 30 years ago). What's changed?

15. I drove C class Mercedes for a number of years, all of which had settable speed limiters as well as cruise control. I have only very recently owned a car with satellite navigation and see that the prevailing speed limit is shown in one corner of the screen. I’m sure the technology is already here to marry the two together. My question would be, limiting the speed of the vehicle measured by what, the car’s speedo ? We all know how inaccurate they are. The AA is already kicking off about how in certain situations, physically restricting the vehicle’s speed is unsafe. Who gets the money from speed fines in the UK ? I’m sure they will have something to say about losing an income stream. Andy

16. At what point do they legislate for vehicle based GPS tracking linked to automatic issue of speeding fines?

17. If everyone would just drive slower and show more consideration this wouldn’t be an issue!

Said no one ever!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. There will always be an issue, people already drive slower, ok many do not show any consideration, but that in itself is because people are expected and do drive slower, there are minority groups who want no cars bikes at all, so they will always shout the loudest.

The slower people drive the more accidents there are, just more minor ones and many that do not get reported, the slower people drive the more they think they can use mobile phones etc. it is a just a viscous circle.

19. I would almost certainly think it will hit the new car market big time for a while, certainly with the mid / top end private buyers, If it was to include bikes pretty well trash market all together, except for commuting

Do Not Sell My Personal Information