1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Euro 4 Exhaust Swap

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Jolley, May 22, 2016.

1. So, in preparation for my exhaust swap I whipped off the old system. A few people in another thread have asked about weights, so I will start off with the standard 959 exhaust section weights, then update this thread with how successful the swap is later.....
    Under belly section = 5.9kg
    Twin tail pipes = 3.8kg
    Rear foot pegs = 0.9kg
    So all in the Euro 4 exhaust and rear pegs weigh just over 10.6kg!

• Like Like x 1
  2. The total is about what I expected but I didn't expect the cans to be so heavy.

Interested to see what the 1299 system weighs and if it runs any better

Does the valve get reused?

3. I'm not putting a 1299 system on. I'm attempting to just swap for a US spec 959 under belly section. The valve wouldn't be re-used in either case, because on euro4 it is after the belly section before the tail pipes. On the 1299 system (and full System on US 959) the flapper is after the headers join just before the belly section. However, I am going to see if I can get away with using the Euro4 headers and connecting pipe (without flapper) straight into the US belly....

4. Ah ok I assumed the US 959 system was just the 1299 system we have

I would think the headers would be the same on all of them and the link pipe/ Y-piece is the part that differs

Is the US version more free flowing than the 1299 do you know?

5. You may well be right. They are possibly exactly the same. I was just making the distinction mine was 959 encase anyone tried this in the future after reading this. Looking at photos of the 1299/US959 systems they do look the same (header pipe diameters are the same, flapper valve location same, and type/colour of under belly section the same), and it wouldn't make sense for Ducati to make too many variations. I just cannot say with authority they are the same.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Cheers

Let us know what the underbelly system weighs when possible and how the bike runs

Interested in this mod for the weight saving alone if it is significant and doesn't require a remap

Cheers

7. What's going to happen at MOT time?:Nailbiting:

8. They don't do noise tests at MOT yet so as long as the cat is retained they shouldn't be a problem

9. Yes, and the CAT is in the under belly section, so should not be a problem.

First MOT is 3 years away yet anyway!

10. Strange... Whenever I get my rsv4 motd they insist on the baffle being in and on top of that there's only one lad that will pass it... Also when I had my last hyper riders insisted that when they motd my evo I always handed it over with the stock exhaust just in case they had a spot check.... So that tells me they must do...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

11. I've never known an mot tester give the slightest sh*t about an exhaust

My local tester passed the Norton with 33 year old tyres on it lol

12. Wish I could find someone like that but no...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

13. Delivery day! Just weighed the under belly pipes and they are just shy of 6kg, so the weight saving (with no rear pegs) is just over 4.5kg. Not bad for a standard exhaust!

The bad news is that for some reason they have swapped the male/female sides of the connecting flange, so I'll have to swap the connecting pipe over (assuming that fits!).

14. That's a decent weight saving there

Was offered akrapovic slip on and fairings and up map for £2400 the other day.

That's only saves another kilo or so I think over the standard underbelly

15. My local MOT station opens until 8pm. I very much doubt the DVSA will be lurking at that time of night.

16. These are the male/female flanges I was talking about.

image.jpeg

17. I was annoyed that they hadn't done them the same way round so I could do a straight swap, then I realised the flange location on the connecting pipe on the US one is about an inch or so longer to fit the flapper valve, so I had to change that anyway.... So anyone planning a swap really needs the connecting pipe if they don't want to mess around too much (the connecting pipe, although a pain to change, does fit our header pipes).

image.jpeg

18. Looking better already...

image.jpeg

19. Sounds much better..... Well worth the swap!!

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  20. Great work

Does it run ok?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information