1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Europe-proofing An St3

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by k1w1_123, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hi, I've newly joined this forum as I recently acquired an ST3 with the intention of doing some European touring. My first trip last summer was a disaster for which I was ill-prepared, starting with an oil pressure switch failure on day one, followed by the alternator stator coming loose and destroying itself, and culminating with a broken crankshaft. I'm in the process of fitting a replacement motor and thought I would ask if there is anything else I ought to do before my next trip (other than maybe sell the ST3 and buy a BMW :grinning:). The replacement motor is getting new belts and tensioners, a rebuilt (dry) clutch, valve clearances adjusted, and fluids changed. I'm also fitting a new chain and sprockets.
    Several things I've read suggest that ethanol fuels in the EU can cause problems but these seem to be confined to some of the nylon-tank models. I see eBay sellers offering ethanol compatible fuel pumps; is it worth replacing the pump and in-tank rubber/plastic fuel system components and if so can anybody recommend a suitable source for parts?
    I have added fuses, relays, a regulator and a couple of oil pressure switches to the spares kit. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else I can do, or spares I should take, to improve my chances of not coming home on a train?
    Thanks

2. Welcome, just out of interest how do you plan on getting your bike from New Plymouth to your European destination start point?

3. Well spotted! The bike in question resides in darkest Shropshire

4. The ST bikes usually fairly reliable, although the oil pressure switches fitted by Ducati are not. The alternator nut coming loose is very unusual on late model Ducatis with 3-phase alternators although it was common on earlier bikes. The nut should be replaced and tightened to a very high torque value if it has been removed so perhaps yours had been meddled with in the past and not done properly.
    I had an ST4s for 50,000 miles including a trip to Italy and back with no major issues but it is definitely a good idea to carry a spare relay - the 3 relays on the bike are all the same so the fan and fuel pump relays can be swapped in an emergency.
    Also check the condition of the connectors to the regulator. Make sure that both the one from the alternator and the regulator output one are both in good condition with no sign of overheating and with clean terminals with no corrosion. Any oxidation will create resistance which in turn will create heat which will make the condition worse leading ultimately to burnt connectors and no charge.
    Before going make sure your tyres, chain and sprockets and brake pads will last the distance and probably a good idea to change the brake and clutch fluids too.

5. My mate tours on his 996, has been since 2010. Preventative maintenance is the key as well as getting to know the foibles and potential weak points of your bike. He's not had a problem over 8 continental tours, my Honda VFR broke down twice and my MV had three issues on one tour last year... :rolleyes:

He did have the same loose stator issue you've had but spotted it in his pre tour check a week or two before the off, proving preperation is vital.

6. I’d have a health check on the regulator, take some fuses and do 500 miles before I go just to check all is working before setting off :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information