1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European Travel Insurance And Breakdown Cover Renewal

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Android853sp, May 2, 2020.

1. Received an e-mail this morning, inviting me to renew my multi-trip, annual holiday insurance. The price, (laughingly) including my loyalty discount, has more than doubled without taking into consideration existing medical conditions loading. T’internet searching is throwing up a variety of disclaimers and a huge spread of costs depending on what cover you want. Also been looking at recovery and that’s different to last year with what looks like a general scaling back of benefits unless you are prepared to pay a lot more. Had one quote come in at over £300 for annual UK and European cover but that one did include cover for an ‘incident’ or ‘collision’. Anyone else in a similar boat or am I being naive in thinking I will get to Europe this year ? Andy

2. Was watching Martin Lewis Money show the other day - his advice went something like .....
    Nobody will cover anything remotely covid19 related
    Why buy a whole years insurance when you might use it once if you’re lucky ? Just take single trip out and when you know you need it.
    I think you can get his take on it online - better than my memory

3. That’s a fair comment but we had (past tense) two trips and four events in the UK and four trips to Europe planned for this year so a multi trip policy made sense. Likelihood is, my birthday trip we had in January is the only one we’ll get. Andy

4. I think you can forget France until at least August but that could change one way or another. Can't speak for other European countries but it seems France is determined to keep it's borders closed without a very good reason for crossing, family emergency sort of thing.
    We had our 2nd trip to Lombardy planned for a couple of weeks ago, yikes. From May 11th it's not possible to cross a boundary from one department to another but at least the 1k limit from home address will be extended to 100k and the duration from 1hr to unlimited.
    I think I would forget Europe cover for a while, bummer, but then again so is dying of C.19

5. Eurotunnel and the ferry company want the full fare for both trips up front 4 or 5 months before we plan to travel. As a small group of friends, no-one is prepared to carry the risk, which is understandable. Andy

6. Hola Andy!

You mentioned that you had one quote come in at over £300 for annual UK and European cover but that one did include cover for an ‘incident’ or ‘collision’

Having skimmed through some of the Terms and Conditions for the UK and European Breakdown cover offered by Nationwide Building Society, one of the Terms reads as follows:

"In the event of a road traffic accident you must contact your motor insurance company in the first instance to arrange recovery to ensure you receive your full entitlements. If assistance is not available for whatever reason, we will provide the services as shown under your cover entitlement."

I'll leave it up in the air as to whether "Incident/Collision" falls under the "Road Traffic Accident" parameters, although a calculated guess on my part is that it would, at least to a certain extent. So if the Motor Insurance Company were unable to assist, then the Nationwide Cover would come into play.

The Nationwide Cover comes in at £13/month and asides from UK/European Breakdown Cover, included in the price are other bits like Worldwide Family Travel Insurance and Mobile Phone Cover.

In any case, fingers crossed for any of us making it to Europe sometime soon!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks for that. The article reads like a total bugger’s muddle. I’ve given up on any European travel for this year and with Wales and Scotland setting their own lock down transition rules which seem at odds with each other and with England and Northern Ireland, I don’t hold out much hope for a tour in the UK. Tried to find somewhere to stay for the Ducati day at Donington in August and failed miserably :( Andy

8. I think mid July.
    Depends a lot on Pretty Terrible in the Conned party.
    My mate still hoping to get here in August...

9. The site tends to be several days behind though. Still a chance and pressure on to open up. Spain already said ready for travellers. Worse places than Picos and Pyrenees :)

10. Thinking of Corsica in September as a possibility to keep my Euro touring mojo going. If a reality it will be a case of cross channel by whatever means, preferably ferry to Normandy coast (Le Havre, Caen or Cherbourg). Travel insurance will be single trip and avoiding cover offered by the Post Office like the plague after last year's fiasco.

Not sure if Ducati recovery continues outside of the original warranty period if you have the factory EverRed warranty extension? Will have to look into that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Try this company.....

https://www.eversure.com/

A lad at work crashed his Hyabusa in Southern France.....the conversation was last year so i cant remember the details but essentially they took care of the whole thing and the whole bike including all the bits turned up at his house on a pallette - cant remember the price but it was cheap....he said he'd never expected the service he got but said it was amazing - they took care of everything...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Another stick to beat us with for having the audacity to consider leaving the EU...

Open borders for us by September would suit me. kids back to school in France on the 28th of August. destination Corsica is looking a possibility with clear roads and emptyish campsites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Looking at something in August, France based with maybe a foray in to Italy for a ride out :)mask::mask:). Not sure though if it will be hotels or camping. I am expecting fairly empty roads. It has been very quiet on the local race tracks o_O

Lots of bad press about bookinng.com not allowing refunds or cancelations.
    So take care IF booking, make sure their is a free to cancel policy in place.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information