1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurotunnel Virgin

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Nik the greek, Apr 30, 2013.

1. They say there is no such thing as a daft question, but this might break the mould.

For our trip over to France we are going to use the Euro tunnel, and i know that you stay with the bike, but i wondered if you need to strap the bike down like you do on a ferry ??

2. Nope. You just put it on its stand and stay with it :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Nope, you ride on and keep to the right of the train, then as you park you put the front wheel against the raised edge on the left to stop it rolling forward. Then put it in gear on the sidestand and off you go! It's the best way to cross by far :)

4. What they said, bear in mind there's no seats, so you might want to take a cover or something to throw on the floor to sit on

5. Cheers guys, that answered that one for me .

6. and you get 2 hour window either side of your booked time to travel. When are you heading out?

7. You can walk along the train a bit and go upstairs to the lounge area if you like.

8. 15th May, doing a trip around the WW1 sites

9. It's a trip that will stay with me for life
    Where are you visiting

10. To be honest i am not sure, its the first time i have not really been involved in planning a trip, my mate has been before, and the other two guys are doing all the planning stuff.

But i am sure it will be one i wont forget.

11. It's very humbling
    Try to get to Hill 60 there are picture boxes there to go through and a stark reminder of the horrors those boys went through
    Ypres and Passchendaele were bombed to the ground
    In Passchendaele the memorial museum you can go underground and experience what it would have been like to live as they did
    So much to see and take in
    Menin Gate last post will have you in goosebumps
    Wish I was coming with you :)
    So moving the last post at

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Unlike ferry-boats, the tunnel train does not provide any tie-down straps. Even if you bring your own straps you cannot use them, because there are no hooks or brackets of any kind to attach them to, again unlike a ferry. You are obliged to park the bike on its stand, and leave it at that. It is a case of having to trust the train to start, speed up and slow down very gently and smoothly, with no emergency stops, which it does - usually.

13. Ha! When was the last time you actually got a train where you could sit down? The Eurotunnel only takes about 30 mins or so. That's like your standard trip on the Underground or Paddington to Reading. If you haven't got used to standing up by now...

The whole thing is such a non-worry. Roll up, roll on. Park the bike. Get bored for 30 mins (unless chatting to the other bikers or you have brought something to read). Start up, roll off. The train isn't exactly going around corners or being tossed about on waves, so the bike isn't rolling around. The whole experience is uninteresting, anti-climactic, but at least it's over pretty fast and you can get on with your holiday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. my first time was WDW #1 picture taken on return leg, anyone remember the original bike stands?

Hope you a have a great trip. DSC00016.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

15. Used it loads as Mrs RJ is not good on ferries!!

Only thing I'd add is consider having a bottle of water with you, I always end up feeling thirsty on the train.

16. I wondered this as well haha. So no, not a daft question.

17. All the things that Ducbird said plus Vimy Ridge.
    If you get the chance go to Vimy Ridge & get a full guided tour from one of the Canadian staff. Been a few times now and returning again this year. The monument there is so impressive that even Hitler wanted it protected.

18. Probably the last time I went on a train I sat down, why would I want to stand up for half an hour, you townies are all rush rush rush

• Like Like x 2
  19. Just like this ! :upyeah:

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. I wouldnt go abroad any other way on the bike. Easy peasy on and off.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information