1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evan Waterless Coolant

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Boukekoppejan, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Hi!

what do you think of this coolant from Evans? I bought it for my duc witch have some minor coolant issues. So curious if this wil helps a bit

6CA604B0-DB9F-431A-AAE4-68F953FE551C.jpeg

2. I have read mixed reviews on this, and as an engineer I have decided against using it.
    Stick to the manufacturer recommended coolant, if you have minor issues I would look at the coolant system rather than what is in it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Specific Heat.

Specific heat capacity of Evans waterless products ranges from 0.64 to 0.68, or about half that of water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i also looked at this in a bit of detail, and also went with Motul Mocool organic in the end, if the bike is oveheating, like a 1199 for example, then i would improved the cooling system before relying on just a change of medium, as the issue will still be there.. but possibly hidden

• Like Like x 2
  5. Waterless coolants are crap. They have higher boiling point but transfer less heat than water. Actually water with a corrosion inhibitor is the best coolant but doesn't offer any frost protection. Have a look at Silkolene pro CCA if this is something that might interest you. 2 percent of that with tap water is what we used in Formula 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Also an engineer who has looked into this stuff and discounted it. If it was any good then manufacturers would use it. The best thing for heat transfer is H2O.
    In the end it is your bike and you should use what you want, but I don't know what you are trying to gain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. after dropping out the coolant from my 1199, i was amazed at how much gunge etc was in the lower radiator, and also how blocked the fins where, so this is always a good point to review.
    a good flush and a deep clean of the radiator and fins can help out greatly if your at the top end of the temperature range.

8. I bought my Morini with this stuff already in the cooling system. The seller made a big thing out of it. I rode down to Madrid last year when the air temperatures peaked at 44c. The fans were going so much, I felt I was getting better value from my purchase, given that more components I'd paid for, were actually doing something! The first chance I got, I dumped the Evans and refilled with ionised water. The bike was happier, less fan action (worse value) and ran about 5-10 degrees cooler on the open road where a more like for like comparison could be made

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I bought it with the reason that it won’t boil when the temperature goes to high with a high outside temperature at traffic lights. The high tuned engine gets very hot (110 degrees) when I need to stop at traffic lights or drive slowly. The current setup like a extra fan and bigger radiator is not sufficient to lower the temperature so I was looking for other coolant to lower or delay the temperature more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You will find that the engine will run even hotter with this in the system.
    The only benefit I can see is it will not boil the coolant.
    As long as the cooling system can handle the pressure created by 110c you should not have a problem.
    Pressure at this temp is approximately 1.5 bar or 22psi, only when the pressure acting on the coolant drops will it evaporate into steam.
    As long as your hoses and clips are sound you should be ok,

11. The boiling point of water based coolant is significantly increased by the effect of pressure in the closed pressurised system.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. It won't boil, but nor will the coolant in the bike. I challenge you to find one that does boil. Ducati make their bikes for all markets including Australia, Africa and many very hot places without a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I used it. Spent alot of money doing the swap only to dump it and put the Water Wetter in. It took longer for the bike to get hot which was good if I needed to pop into the city on a light traffic day but once I was there heat soaking it was alot harder for the bike to cool back down. Where the water wetter heated up very much like the OEM stuff, it cooled down quickly once the fans kicked on or you got moving. I even had the temp light kick on with the Evans. At that point I just more on the sidewalk and zipped around everyone to get on the open road and get some air flow. You can't turn the bike off at that point. Heat soak will generate more heat. At that point the only option is to get the air flow and allow it to cycle back to a lower temp. I learned my lesson when it comes to Evans.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thread moved

16. Not sure what bike youve got but i did try some alternatives angles to getting the temp down on my rsv4....

Removed the pair system and all the pipework running round the engine. Also installed the heavy duty alloy thermostat....removing the pair system dropped the temp by between 3 and 5 deg...as theres more flow around the engine....

Same on my z1000 (removed the pair system) and also did an airbox mod lopping the bottom off it to give a good few inches of clearance between the bottom of the airbox and the top of the motor....gave me a good few degrees back on that as well...

17. Thanks all, so I understand that most of you don’t recon waterless coolant:upyeah: I don’t drive in the winter so coolant without anti freeze is no problem, wich product is the best you can use then?

18. i have got a high tuned Ducati 1198R and I want to delay or lower the high temperature what is possible. I don’t know what the pair system is on my bike not sure if I have a pair system. I think there is now heavy duty thermostat for this bike?

19. Anti freeze is also corrosion inhibitor, I would never run a modern engine without it as there are too many dissimilar metals that would cause corrosion without it.
    Why don't you just buy a bigger radiator?

20. or wire up the fan so that it is always on!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information