1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even With Bayliss, Asbk Is Dead

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by everclear, Nov 23, 2018.

1. I don't know what the level of awareness is over here, but the Australian Superbike Comp has been dead and buried (coverage, sponsorship,spectators) for well over a decade. We look at BSB with considerable envy. The only path left for talent is to do what the Stoner family did.

Still, at 49, Bayliss is still worth a watch. Here are the highlights of the final round of the ASBK 2018 Championship (play spot the spectator) at the best racetrack in the world (yes I know that comment was tiresomely predictable but FACT ).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. He'll go far that Bayliss fella, you mark my words :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Enjoyed that, he’s not bad for an old git :punch:

• Like Like x 2
  4. great share

• Like Like x 1
  5. Watched most rounds s far this year. They show it on Eurosport 2 UK. Bayless has gone from top 5 to winning stuff and is still very aggressive too.

6. Yeah I've watched it (although it airs a fortnight or so after the event even here) and the racing is of a a good standard ... for all 4 or 5 rounds. They don't come over to WA.

Troy has done well but compared to the blokes racing against him check out his kit ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I’d imagine he is well backed by Ducati ;)

Funny how Suzuki seems to be doing really well down under, yet no where else (outside of endurance). And all ways seems to have too.

8. Yeah Shawn Giles ruled on his FIM spec GIX750 for an eternity. They also had an engineering weapon here by the name of Phil Tainton.

9. Strewth, there’s some girls down there with no strides on!

10. At Phillip Island?!!! You sure you weren't watching a popup?

11. Be good to see what he does with the V4R next year.
    Not bad for an old fella :).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fixed for you Joe.

13. Absolutely right. OTOH, and it's difficult to say about someone like Bayliss, but would you be happy about a 50 year old winning BSB? I could add 3 paragraphs of qualifications about all he's done etc etc but at the end of the day you want talent coming through.

14. It looks like a huge entry list though. 20 to 30 riders? So there must be plenty of money around in Oz.

Here in Hungary the entry lists are shrinking because people can’t afford to race, there is no sponsorship or TV coverage and a new Suzuki is the quickest thing out of a showroom. It’s got great electronics and loads of power.

15. Nah, the standards for entry are just really poor. For example, in the first race of the highlights I put up Bayliss and a couple of others were lapping in the 1.33's. 25 rider field. 17 were lapping between 1.40 and 1.54's. That's 70% of the field at least 7 seconds down per lap. People aren't going to turn up to watch 3 or 4 guys race on decent bikes with the rest allowed to race to make the field look like ... a field.:(

16. It's always great to see the young up and coming doing well, but with it being Bayliss (yeh, a bit of a fan) I'd love to see him stick it to the young'ns and win one more title lol.

As far as BSB goes, I'm not that bothered who wins it, just wish fucking fox would still televise it!
    Used to love watching it, was certainly more entertaining than WSBK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. You mean his sponsored rivals Allerton(37), Maxwell(36), Herfoss(31) and the Champ Waters (31)? I suppose Waters is 20 years younger:thinkingface:

18. Whipper snappers the lot of them!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. In NZ it is broadcast live on Sky Sport. Which is sent from Oz so you should be able to get it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. So my estimate was pretty good

At least the guy who comes in last can tell his grandkids that he raced with Bayliss...

Here also there is a wide spread of talent and having the latest fastest bike can help win races. It happens at this level of most sports I suppose.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information