1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyday Sports Bikes?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Bartebde, Jun 19, 2019.

1. So sadly my Panigale has gone and there is a Sports bike shaped hole in the garage, which needs filling. It probably won’t be another ducati this time as I need it to be an all year round / all road* bike with the ability to munch a few motorway miles now and again.

My advice so far has been pointing me in the direction of either a:

1. BMW S1000RR 2015-17. (Cruise control and heated grips)

2. Honda Fireblade. Andy year (but love the 2006/7 design)

I would be interested to hear anyone’s views on riding these bikes all year round and how they manage the longer slogs? (The one area the Pani disappointed) or if I am just better off getting a VFR and a pair of slippers?

2. Sadly they all corrode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I bought the BMW for this reason after trying some other options. I didn't actually use it for commuting and road use as my job changed so i can't really feed back but in terms of a practical race bike I can't think of anything more suitable. Stability, cruise control, heated grips, reliability, etc are all there.

4. Fireblade or gixxers 1000. Great all round bikes

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ducati ST4 - obviously :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Really.
    In the old school sports tourer bracket they look more characterful than triumph sprints and VFRs but are they not more expensive to run?

7. Not at all, 50 mpg and the usual 6,000 mile desmoquattro servicing - at the age they are its all good for home servicing :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. And simpler - no electronic fancy bits

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I believe a 748 would make a fine commuter too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. All year round, all road?
    Not sport bike shape IMO, but the compromise would be the S1r, preferably a non exploding one ( Bradders!) with an MRA touring screen. Chuck on a versatile tyre and that would be year round, all road. Defo sports.
    I have become very biased recently though and it would take track days and less speed cameras to get me off the GS. Best road bike I have owned.
    Sport bikes with sport tyres do they really fit the remit ?
    Miles, motorways, year round, would not want a traditional sport bike.

Cruise control, I didn’t see the point, but now would not want a bike without it. Heated grips, just essential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Btw, have you tried a VFR? Surprisingly not comfy, for me anyway with a decent reach to the bars. The S1r was way more comfy, and the vfr gearboxes were a bit stiff too.

12. Tuono. Or S1R.

If must be sports, gixer 1000 or S1RR

Or a GS ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buy two. A honda blackbird for the everyday commute, they have fantastic build quality and even two decade old ones can be had for a couple of grand and still look almost new and then for fun, a gixxer 750 k7/8 for everything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GSXR 1000 K5 - Best all rounder I've ever had and won't cost the earth... (Get the blue and white and it'll hold it's value too)

15. Tuono V4 factory

16. Given the brief...
    1. BMW S1000XR - massive overlap with the S1000RR, with a more comfortable riding position and probably more suited to British roads all year round, chain final-drive notwithstanding. £8-16k.
    2. BMW R1200RS - loads of torque, very comfy and quite resilient, added benefit of shaft drive. £8-13k.
    3. BMW R1200GS - as per RS really, but with well-documented off-road possibilities. Image problem caused by owners / actors. £4-16k.
    4. BMW F850GS - easily overlooked, very fun and will hit 130mph on road, loads lighter than a 1200GS - £10k ex demos are abundant.
    5. BMW S1000RR - for a sports bike it's very practical, and not uncomfortable... for a sportsbike. £10-14k for a peach.
    6. Honda Fireblade 11-16 - overcame the oil-burner tendencies of the 08-10 bikes, Honda build quality and a very accessible bike. £6k will see you on a peach.
    7. Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD - spend a modest amount on the bike, deep service and a set of sport touring tyres / heated grips and you've got something you can live with every day of the year, won't be a nightmare if you drop it as eBay is teeming with OE bits, they're faster than many give them credit for and they are actually bloody nice to ride. £4k will see you on a peach!
    I'd got for the XR, F850 or the SRAD. :)

Have fun hunting!

• Like Like x 2
  17. All year around? Really?

Lovely looking bikes and have a local dealer but I couldn’t imagine taking it out in the winter?

18. I will get a GS. Just not yet.....

19. Yes, my mate is on his second, first one 18k in 3 yrs (commute is only 10 miles each way) and second he's on same mileage in 2 years (change of job). Trackdays, commuting in all but the worst weather (snow), sunday hacks. Looks almost new: ACF50, wash deeply every few weeks, regular servicing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Should have mentioned I still have a supermoto for the daily/urban commute. But it isn’t built for the longer work trips away if open roads are required (I.e. everywhere).
    Won't be getting rid of it anytime soon and having the supermoto is probably the reason I don’t want the second bike to be a sit up type/adventure position. Just keen to have contrast.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information