1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone On The Road Is A Clown

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Flatfish, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Many a true word said in jest........ this is great.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. The future version just has robots tutting at the remaining 'manual human drivers' who statistically are incredibly dangerous & unreliable. Versus the unblemished record of driverless-cars.. Not that I want that future to take hold but on main motorway routes I can see the importance of keeping countries networks running smoothly. So some sort of distance measuring & lane holding tech should be theorized & cheaply applicable.

3. The future will be a cart. Towed along by the detritus of whats left of the human race. Sub humans scratching a living from the dying earth. The odd clown incident would be something of a blessed relief.

4. I had a recent presentation at work about future autonomous drive technologies in the pipeline. Some of it is incredible and not as far away as you might think. :)

Don't worry chaps, I think autonomous motorcycles aren't on the agenda. :upyeah: (yet :worried:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. It boils my pish when motorway driving and trying to keep a two second gap other motorists constantly cut into the space iv left. Grrr

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. That's ironic because up here Audis are the boy racer car of choice so a lot of the clowns are in Audis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The Audi that followed me to work this morning must already have autonomous drive, as he managed to sit 2" from my rear bumper for about 5 miles. :rolleyes:

8. I'm doing an investigation into cyber security (or lack of) in the automotive industry. The hacking community is very aware that the auto industry, in it's rush to make cars more connected, hasn't been particularly diligent when it comes to security. The combo of autonomous cars and loose security could make the future interesting.

Miller and Valasek
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Keen Lab
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...chers-hack-tesla-model-x-in-impressive-video/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I followed a guy yesterday (from a distance) who was watching TV on his iPhone and changing channels and bridging both sides of the road at times at speeds varying between 15mph and 40mph. I only knew he was watching TV once traffic had stopped and I could see through rear window closer and he was watching Pointless on his phone. Fortunately I turned off into my road and was behind him for only one mile or so. But in that one mile, it was hair raising as the unpredictability forced me to keep a good distance.

10. I'd have taken his plate and phoned that in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Although I have hands free in car, that never crossed my mind as I have never used it in 5yrs of owning the car. I dont even listen to radio when driving, which drives Mrs Boots nuts. I sometimes wish I had a dash cam for that kind of thing. Also a national call line would help I guess.

12. Call 101, they can't take your word for it but will keep an eye out for them and if they keep getting calls I believe will go and have a word with them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. You could've pulled your mobile phone out and recorded him using his, then submitted the footage?

:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ironically we have a guy who was employed recently for just that reason (we have a lot of teams in different automotive manufacturers working on next gen stuff)

15. I was riding back on the autoroute from the French Alps last summer, I have to confess I wasn't hanging about but the only cars which overtook me were Audis.

16. Id just like to add that while one side of me agrees with the tech (all the stuff in the advert) and the hazzards that you do come across as a driver/rider the other side of me "the youve only got one life so make the most of it" alter ego says....why would i want to go out for a sunday morning blast for the latest and greatest tech to take over my car/bike and make sure im safe....thats part of the fun...isnt it??

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Its a moral dilemma. I also have a reaction to nanny state legislation and completely agree that it should be up to me how safe or dangerous I make my life. One of the things I liked about rock climbing is the community knows and accepts the risks and you make it as safe for yourself as you feel you need to. No legislation required. But I don't do track days so my biking is on public roads. Is endangering joe public, in the persuit of fun, reasonable? Well, no. But it's not that black and white. For instance, I don't kill or maime someone every time I break the speed limit so the perceived risk is small. I also live my life, in general, with the hope of a favourable outcome. I also believe I minimise the risk by not taking stupid risks (as perceived by me). I also don't think about it much, or possibly enough? If I was a traffic cop or doctor who copes with the carnage, or if I lost one of my kids to a speeding biker, I may well feel quite differently. But I'm not. I'm just a guy with a bike who, I'm sure in the eyes of some road users, can be a bit of a dick. I like to think however that I'm not a complete dick and ride within my capabilities and so am relatively safe. I just hope I'm never proven wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Snooper dash cams, I personally have the snooper DVR-3HD & its worked fine for many years. And I've submitted evidence too the police.

Highways England telephone number; used mainly for reporting of debris or spillages on the carriageway. But its a good start in been more proactive with informing the countries agencies or even Police of problems/issues on the road.

ps: It's worth giving your phone number & surname rather than anonymous reporting. As eventually they have you stored as a 'reliable source' for things you spot along your route. Obviously you need a phone handsfree system to legally oblige with the law when phoning & driving along.

19. Maybe its the Audi that stops them dying?

20. Mixed feelings on this - my boy-racer days are long behind me but I still enjoy a spirited ride and do not want to spend all my time wondering whether every car I pass is gathering dashcam footage to use against me. Most car drivers have no idea of the capabilities of modern bikes and perfectly safe overtakes can look very different to many drivers.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information