1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercise Cycling To Spain

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Yesterday, on my exercise bike, I reached my goal in “Spain”.

The goal came from reading books by Laurie Lee. Apparently, he used to live not far from me in Slad, in Gloucestershire. He went to Spain to fight in the Spanish Civil War but always wanted to keep the exact locations secret for fear of reprisal against the locals, in the time of Franco.

Apparently, it is no secret now and in the town of Almachar there is a plaque to him. When I get motorcycling again, this is a trip that I will make on a motorbike. The cycling distance was 945 km from Barcelona. I did the cycling from home to Barcelona first, last year. That was 1534km. So, I have done about 2500km in total!

When I do this trip in reality, I am tempted to stop off at a Costa resort. I so want to stay at a crummy hotel full of Brits to discuss how stupid the Spanish are because a) they don’t speak English and b) they eat that “foreign muck” and not good wholesome ENGLSH food, like egg and chips and beans on toast. And they don’t want their tea of sausages and mash at five o’clock but really late in the evening when it is dark. And they use this foreign money rubbish!

Actually no, I can happily give that a miss and stay at Spanish hotels with Spanish people and eat Spanish food.

So, lots to look forward to when I get fit and a license! Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, and Italy, with Poland as well!

upload_2021-4-4_8-56-59.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sounds great, good luck

Bit of an unusual rant mid post though!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rants are what I do!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh right.

5. Your rant reminded me of being on holiday in Turkey, the hotel did “Turkish night” I heard a bloke say “ I’m not eating the foreign muck” sounded genuine and quite disgusted there wasn’t any English food. I thought to myself, “what a Twat”

6. BTW PerryL, I love a good rant, it’s good for the soul.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. From now on, cycling home. via Portugal to Santander, where I can get a Ferry to Plymouth.

8. I enjoyed 'as I walked out one midsummer day'. I had it in my head that the war started while he was there and he hid in a whore house.... Am I muddling a few different memories here?

9. Did you see Stroud is the best place to live @PerryL
    Jilly Cooper has moved there

10. I did but didn't believe it!

But to be fair, for my own reasons, it is quite good. The best thing to do with Stroud is to leave. Either North or South on the4 A 46!!! At least the hospital has progressed to checking my eyes and legs now. In previous years they thought it essential to stick a camera up my ass whilst telling me jokes! Also, it is near Slad, where Laurie Lee used to live (mentioned in my cycling thread). He went to school in Stroud.
    When I get mobile again, I will visit some shops there. It has no Ducati dealers but there is a BMW workshop that could be interesting. Also, it is where Forest Green Rovers are based and they are part-owned by Dale Vince who also owns Ecotricity based there. I may switch to them as my current provider has started to annoy me by refusing to believe that I no longer have a gas meter - although they took it away!

• Like Like x 1
  11. And much more importantly, a good reason to live there is Stroud Brewery! I finished giving up beer for lent and I have a very large delivery in my garage waiting for me!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. And they do not considerer me local enough for free delivery!!! That is a good reason for moving there!

13. Costa Brava (north of Barcelona) is very nice and the roads are good and bendy all the way down that coast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. It is not on my original route but I could be persuaded! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just had a quick look on Ride. Yes, I may alter my route through France to start the East Coast at Perpignan or Sete or Montpellier.

16. my first holiday abroad was the Costa brava at the Quijote
    Found a pic on line

6F343995-7633-4D63-B70D-1CB1866F4C21.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Did they serve good English food with none of that foreign muck?:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information