1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Exhaust Valve And 02 Sensors

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BB1000, Nov 17, 2017.

1. If your map has the 02 sensors switched to off... Does the exhaust valve still operate? My girlfriends 1198 has the 02 turn off and the exhaust valve doesn't move.... Reason why I'm asking :)

2. Not a lot of Help I'm afraid...

But your Girlfriend rides an 1198?? I'm suitably impressed, credit where credit is due Mrs @BB1000! :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks matey :).... She is awesome :D

4. Lambdas and EXBV are two separate things

5. I know, I'm wanting to know why the exhaust valve wasn't responding when i ran the bike, map definitely has the 02 off

6. I thought it was common for the O2 sensor to be disabled if the exhaust valve is disconnected and the ecu remapped. My Multistrada O2 sensor was unplugged when the cat was removed and the ecu remapped. Andy

7. I've got Termi end cans on my 1198S with the appropriate ECU. So there's no cat in the system and the two lambda probes (=O2 sensors?) have actually been removed. The exhaust valve does it's little thing when I turn the ignition on, but I've no idea if it moves at all during riding (never looked!). I think you can buy a plug-in unit that fools the ECU into thinking the valve is there and working, then you remove it. No idea if there's any benefit in doing so?

8. Yep, you can buy Exhaust Servo Eliminators for and remove all of the gubbins associated with the valves which is what I have done.

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Exhaust_Servo_Eliminators_for_Ducati_Motorcycles.html

Reason I did this was the previous owner fitted one of the cheap cam type eliminators from Ebay which inevitably resulting in the nylon drive gears in the servo failing and then the engine management warning light coming on the dash... Also fitted an ESE to Mrs M's Monster and removed all of the associated gubbins :)

As the exhaust valves are (fail safe open) they will remain open due to the spring fitted to them... All I do is exercise them by hand after bringing them out of storage each year and every week or so during our riding season.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. As a matter of interest, what does the valve actually do, and does it do it when the Termi ECU is fitted and the lambda probes removed? Also, why would one remove the valve? Can't believe it's for the loss in weight?!

10. If I recall rightly the valve is to do with EU Regs... Basically there as a form of Noise Control, the valve is closed by the servo below 4k rpm to limit the noise emitted. I believe there have been a number of members on here had them stuck closed on there bikes and have had to repair/replace.

Plus side is, Mrs M's monster was much smoother at speeds with it eliminated and it also unleashes the true sound of thunder too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. With Termi End cans it cycles at ignition on & will flag a fault on the dash if removed. As far as I'm aware that's all it does.

I fitted an eliminator yonks ago & funnily enough with the Nemesis I just got from a member on here, it tells you that the exhaust valve does not operate at all BUT needs to be installed. When I ran it I was surprised that the eliminator was still able to successfully fool the Nemesis too.

It's original purpose was, as I was told, to get the bike through noise tests, so it's just a bodge & damm it all Ben beat me to it

12. OK, thanks. Think I'll just leave it there!

13. Feel free to share your thoughts if you have heard anything different or have different views @AndrewS :upyeah:

14. I meant I'd leave the exhaust valve there!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information