1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Exhaust Valve ? Help!!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Advikaz, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Anyone ever suffered from a sticking exhaust valve on the panigales and if so what was the symtoms ?

I only ask as I had a silencer replaced under warranty a while ago but since then I've hardly ridden it. However I'm not sure if it's just me but the bike seems to be a bit lethargic and sounds different since they changed it...

As I say might be me, anyway I can check if it's stuck or not ? When I put the ignition on, the cable does turn the 'thingy' but not every time.. so say I turn the ignition on then off.. it'll only do it once, not every time.

#1 Advikaz, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. Thought you meant an 'exhaust valve' for a minute there o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Update, I just started it and revved it up a bit (they don't like that much cold do they) puffed some smoke out in protest.

Anyway had my father in law watch the servo and he said it's only moving a little bit... does it only open a certain amount depending on revs/throttle ? Does anyone know...

4. FWIW on my 1198S, the cable to the EV does its "thingy" when I turn the ignition on, but if I turn it off then on again immediately, it (usually?) doesn't - seems there needs to be a delay between switch-ons. Panigale might be different of course...

5. Sounds plausible!

As said above I revved it up and it only moves a little bit, not sure if that's normal or not.

6. Mine seems to open all the way.

7. Does that relate to how many revs/how much throttle mate do you know?

If so that answers the question of why mines rough in the low end and feeling a bit asmatic...

8. I've only ever looked when the engine isn't running - just occurred to me that the valve will probably only turn through a maximum of about 90 degrees? I'll try and have a look at the flap with the engine running tomorrow.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. The valve turns 90 degrees maximum. With no power it is in the open position on the 848 and the Supersport. WHen operating the bike the action seems to quite random and is hard to quote rules that govern the opening and closing, I know this because I videoed the 848 valve while riding. Can't find the video now before you ask.
    I disconnected and removed the motor on both bike and fitted a little electronic box called and EE eliminator. I also wirelocked the valve fully open although it is sprung to that position.
    In my opinion it makes no difference to the sound of the bike nor to the power or economy. It does save a little weight, not that I could feel any difference. What it does do is eliminate something that I see no use for that could go wrong.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Just disconnecting the cable seems to help. I've been told it throws up a fault code at the dealers, but nothing on the dash.

11. I've searched the web and there's loads of issues relating to the valve.. some are saying not to disconnect.

I just hope mine isn't jammed shut...

12. I had mine jammed shut. Bike doesn't start if it happens. Just disconnect it in open position- job done

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The valve is ther to defeat the noise test. I believe the test takes place around 2-3 thou revs. From my observations it's never fully closed when running.
    When the ignition is turned on the valve goes from fully open to fully closed and then back to fully open.
    I can only talk about a 1098. If you just remove the cables and leave the valve fully open it will show exhaust valve error.
    With the cables removed the servo just spins
    The ECU knows how far the servo should go each way at start up
    You can 1) have the ECU programmed to eliminate it 2) buy an electronic eliminator (1 and 2 you can remove servos an cables) 3) remove cables and fit a metal bar to the ECU spindle that hits the cable holders either side and fools the ECU into thinking cables still attached.
    Method 3) was my choice cos it cost nothing apart from a bit of work

The valve tends to operate most when you are trying to ride through town at 30. Mine runs smooth at that speed now

14. ...it will show exhaust valve error.

Hi pal, what shows, the dash or diagnostics at service?

The panigale doesn't show anything on the dash (mine doesn't) and the cable can be re-attached prior to service.
    My service manager was completely indifferent & comfortable when I suggested unhooking the cable.

15. My question exactly if it chucks up an error only service can see and makes no difference to the running I'm going to unhitch the cable and give that a go.

16. I am afraid Panigales are beyond me
    1098 shows an orange light and says ex valve error unless you do one of the thing I said.
    At the end of the day the valve is there just to get the bike through emission tests ( noise not fuelling)

17. On the dash

18. Update:

I've spoken to a couple of dealers and without putting words in their mouths they've all come back with "it's likely to be the valve" one did say there's some software updates for the bike as well and also a modification to the valve spring.. id have thought mine would have it already being a 66 reg but they weren't so sure..

They seem to think that if I disconnect the cable it'll throw error codes????

It does seem like getting rid of the bloody valve is the best option going forward....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information