1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Wrapping

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Heedful, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Afternoon

Context:
    Not for the Ducati but for another bike that's on the shortlist for commuting.
    Stock exhaust = pants.
    Akra looks good but has a long and unsightly underbelly pipe that with the scrambler look, could benefit from a titanium style wrap.

Question:
    I've never done it and it looks simple enough (done before the Akra is put on), but half of Youtube (mainly USA) videos say to wet the wrap first, then another bunch of sources say to spray silicon on after to prevent water being soaked in. Has anyone done it or know what I should do, if I decide to go down this route?

2. Exhaust wrapping isn't permanent. The wetting of it is really to try and get as much stretch in it so that it contracts hard onto the pipe when dry. Spraying silicon, well the thing's going to get hot anyway and burn off any moisture in it, but I suppose it can't harm, and at worst does nothing.

Be mindful of your overlaps when you wrap - exhaust wrap is notorious for creating hotspots. Also get in the habit of looking over it as it will break down over time, so once or twice a year just look it over and make sure its all still nice and tight and even on the pipe. :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information