1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain Lubrication Of Camshaft Bearings Right Side

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fohlin, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Hi,
    Ducati 996.

I have a hard time understanding how the lubrication of the cam shaft bearings on the right side works.
    The holes in the caps on the belt side do not align. What is the idea?
    How does it work? Why holes that don’t match?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi I wonder have you looked at a diagram of the engine? Maybe this can explain? For me its more about the engine and how it works. If it does a good job. I know on my 916 the lubrication is not good in the sense that the oil drops back down from the head. When starting the bike I always started the engine up on tickover, put my gloves on before any type of revving. I also used the bike often and covered forty thousand miles in ten years. When the engine was stripped, the camshaft and top end was in great condition.

Vinny

3. Do you mean any of these sealed bearings? :thinkingface:

INLET-MANIFOLDS-x-HEAD-COVERS-Ducati-Motorcycle-Superbike-2001-996-996-16.png

4. Yes. No 24 in the picture.

Vinnychoff: I have the engine apart, and there is no doubt the holes in the endcaps on the right side of the cams does not match the holes in the head.

What I don’t understand is why, the miss match, and how it can work.
    Everything else is logical. (The cam lobes, pins etc)

#4 Fohlin, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  5. Is it that the oil way is not alligned? Were they installed incorrectly? I hope either a engine builder or with more pictures to see if it is right? or when you put it back together you put it right?
    Vinnychoff

6. There's an oil way machined into the bearing carrier. Doesn't matter in truth where the holes are, the oil travels around the full circumference of the bearing housing and into the hole in the housing to lube the bearing. There's also some degree of splash lubrication from the oil in the and around the cams and followers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to explain. The oil channel in the head doesn’t align with the one in the end cap (only right side is this way).
    It can’t be mounted in a way to make them align. I myself have tried to switch and turn the caps (to make the oilways align) but they will never align :)
    I can see some possibilities:
    1. The oil is pressed thru the thin passage anyway, and it is by design to maintain pressure (strange)
    2. The bearing is splash lubricated. (But I don’t really think the oil on the cranks is splashing around enough)

#7 Fohlin, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  8. Interesting!
    Just to clearify.
    These caps do not have any “ditch” (my English...). No visible oilway besides the holes to let the oil pass.
    Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Ducati-...-cam-shafts-intake-exhaust-cams-/272095285526

9. Ok. I see what you mean. The housings are handed and maybe have been swapped at some point? I don't know. There is definitely enough oil getting splashed around the cams to lubricate the bearings though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks Nelly!
    I have found similar threads in other forums, and it seems to be a “no problem”.

Really appreciate the input.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information