1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F**k You, Covid19!

Discussion in 'Touring' started by razz, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Sorry about the swearing in the title, but that’s how I feel about it now...

@Sam1199 recently posted about a trip oop north (where its grim) and someone else replied that they’d like to read more travel tales. So here is one of mine...

Tomorrow I am leaving for a trip to Germany to ride the Nurburgring. I have been going most years since about 2001. To begin with I used to go with Simon Byrne (Byrne-up) and ride in public traffic at weekends. This was before the place became manic. Whilst there one year I was introduced to someone who was an instructor on the Motorrad courses that are run there each year. These are closed events for bikes only. Nowadays I only ride there at these events. Lapping in public traffic is too dangerous now. I knew somebody that was killed there whilst lapping in public traffic a few years ago.

I was signed up to ride the Motorrad event this year. It was in mid-July and Mrs Merkel wouldn’t let Brits in without quarantine at that time so I didn’t go. It turns out I didn’t miss much; it was foggy and wet on the first day (the circuit never opened) and on the second day it rained. Hard. That evening the floods struck that affected the region just to the north of the ring. The town of Adenau is just north of the circuit (about half a mile away) and was badly affected. I know people who live in the region and the tales are horrifying.

This year there is another course this time organised by Doc Scholl. Mrs Merkel says that we can go now, so I booked. There has been a lot of discussion as to whether or not the event should be run considering the recent flooding, but the region and the Ring management have encouraged the organisers to run the course, giving assurance that it would not distract from the cleanup that is in progress and that the local economy needs the business. So there we are.

I am getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, riding a short distance to Honfleur where I am meeting a friend. The bike is going in the back of his van along with his R1M from there to Germany. I am riding all the way back to Calais, where I am getting Eurotunnel back to Folkestone.

I think that I have all of the docs and tests that I need. When I booked the ferry they said I needed a PCR test within 72h of travel. Now they say I don’t but I got it done anyway. It’s not wasted; the Germans want evidence of a negative PCR test for their entry requirements. The French want proof of vaccination and a signed certificate of honour stating that I don’t have any Covid symptoms. To get back into the UK I need an antigen test before I get on the train at Calais. Currently I also need evidence of having bought a 2 and 8 day test since there is a 10-day quarantine requirement when returning from France. I’ve only bought a 2-day test on the hope that France will come off the Amber+ list (and hence the need to quarantine) whilst I am away. If it doesn’t I will have to buy the 2+8 test package online before I come home. This all seems like lots of hassle, but last year I did sweet FA during the summer and winter and I have decided this year to make the effort to go places if I can. I’m not getting any younger. Hence the sentiment in the title.

I am riding my V4S. Its a 2018 model. I’ve just put new Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2s on it. Annoyingly Metzler do a 200/60 (Ducati V4S rear tyre size) M9RR which is my favourite road tyre, but it is not available in UK. The Pirellis are not bad... I shall be travelling with a Kriega U10 pack on the pillion seat and a Kriega 40 litre rucksack. I hate riding with a rucsack. Normally I fit a Ventura rack and bag to my bike, but I haven’t got a rack for the V4S yet.

That’s it for now. I will post some pictures from time to time. They probably will not be in with the text; I use an iPad for this forum and haven’t mastered pictures in with the text. They always seem to appear at the end of the message regardless of where I insert them.

Watch this space...

• Like Like x 17
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Knock em dead, cowboy :upyeah:

3. What a faff:astonished:. I was planning to go to Montenegro this year but called it off, too many countries with too many different requirements and I live in the EU where a Covid Vacc Cert should suffice. Hopefully next year will be better :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. If you’re double jabbed via NHS you don’t need the day 2 & 8 PCR test. Only the day 2 test and no requirement to quarantine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. True for Amber and Green countries. Ten day quarantine required for Amber+ counties. France is the only Amber+ country at the moment...
    Its crazy. Rates in mainland France are not really that different from its neighbours. But it has some islands in the Indian ocean and west indies that are under its direct control. The rates there are very high, which skew the official figures for France. Our government just looked at the overall figures for France when deciding on Amber+

6. Ah ok, I stand corrected. And yes, it's ludicrous.....

7. It may be relevant that the number of cases featuring the "Reunion Isle variant" in France are very high relative to the rest of Europe and the UK. This could be very important, as this variant reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine to around 30.7%.

Obviously we can all draw our own conclusions as to whether a 60% drop in vaccination protection to the UK public is important.

In the meantime, I hope you have a great trip, don't get anywhere near the Covid Beta variant at all.

8. Perhaps, but the overall infection rate here in mainland France is much lower than the UK. Go figure.

9. Good luck and fair play!

10. Excellent. Looking forward to this one. Put as many pics up as you can. Who cares about the order.
    Good luck, enjoy & ride fast and safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. It’s a complete ball ache.

Some countries email you a word document certificate to say you are a negative. I have known people edit them as the border police will only find out if it’s a fake if they call the actual clinic.

The whole thing is a farce. Being double jabbed only stops you from getting Corona but you can still spread it.

What annoys me is the cost of the tests. And also, I hope people realise that 20% of the tests are completed by Students, who have had very basic training. This translates into false positives all the time, sometimes with horrendous knock on effects.

12. You will have a fab time. I normally do the Doc Scholl event but with all the PCR faffery I just didn't want to commit this year. Last year just managed to participate there in that brief window of opportunity before everything closed down again.

I'm hoping things may have settled down a little by Sep for a blast down to Jerez instead; at least it gives me time to brush up my French for arranging a PCR test in country before the return Caen ferry!

13. Perhaps currently?

Having Covid for the majority in the UK is not a huge concern anymore as the vaxx will prevent 93% (varies) of them becoming seriously ill. That could be a very different proposition if the vaxx only prevents 30% of people becoming seriously ill?

14. Figures are bandied about in terms of infection rates with no one quoting sources for their info.
    Politicians will be using covid to their advantage for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Totally agree with the ball ache bit. But fudging test certs is a no no. They’re largely QR coded. The sensing technology is in Africa too. All codes are scanned on entry.

16. Most of us around here will be in the 93% then.

17. Germany changed rules recently btw, you need 3G on entry

18. I don't really understand your post -sorry!

If you are exposed to high levels of the "Reunion Isle variant" -and you may be soon in France- regrettably most people will only have 30% protection from the vaccine.

#18 Jez900ie, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  19. You need both day2 and day8 if transiting France on the way back to UK. WTF:mad::mad:
    Hence I might take a ferry from Rotherdam to Ipswich.(if the c@nts don't do another U-turn)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. This is it. It's changing every 5 bastard minutes. Which brings me to the point- these cvnts don't want you traveling. If they instill uncertainty and fear, they know people will refrain....

• Agree Agree x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information