1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Sh*t

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Dec 17, 2018.

1. I had to use (or was prompted to) sign in to a xmas card site with my Facebook id. It became clear that someone had been into the account who wasn't me - unless my name is now Nancy!

So, as it is obvious (to me) that Facebook have some real security issues so then I wanted to close the account. Jeez, they really don't want to allow this! After a couple of hours of messing about, I still do not think that the account is closed - they leave it for 30 days. So if however got into my account before gets back in then the account will not close.

Facebook is toxic!

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. I deactivated my FB account a couple months ago.

I will reactivate it one day - to delete it. That site has suffered terminal mission creep.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I've never had a facebook account. In the summer however I needed to contact someone who was available only on facebook so created a facebook only specific email account.

Created it and was able to contact straight away and got the job done. a few days later, facebook wanted not only my phone number to text and confirm but also a picture of myself and had locked my account until I give them. I can't even get in to close it.

No worries thought I, until I checked the facebook only specific email account and it was flooded with spam, phishing attempts and pure nonsense. The only email, and I have a few, that is specific to facebook and it gets full of the stuff most try and avoid. It's too much of a coincidence for me..

4. It certainly has it's faults but it also has some genuine benefits (As with most things I suppose). It is really a case of buyer beware and understanding what sort of digital footprint you are comfortable with I am the Admin of two FB groups so deal with it a lot. But just in my personal use it has meant I have caught up with those from 40 years back in school (those that I want to catch up with anyway) and also found out a good mate in High School had recently passed away ( which was sad but lead to me getting in touch with his brother and family to pass on my condolences). So for me personally I watch my butt on the privacy side by accepting I'm not a technical genius so I don't put any content up that I'm not happy sharing should it become public - like my my days as a male model.

Ducati Man_0005.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Does anyone have a quick way to delete your own fb account?
    ( for all the technophobes like me :worried: )
    I created an account a few years ago and have never used it. I want shut, but am loathed to log onto it if i can’t close it quick sharp. Thanks.

6. Just forget it, it cannot hurt you, it cannot divulge any information that you have not given it, it cannot send you spam if you never login.

7. Recently tried to join Facebook as a bike tour company I've been abroad with before now operates mainly on there and I wanted to join in the pre tour chat for a tour I've managed to book with them this coming May via email. FB allowed me to open the account and start using it but a few days later asked for the same information as the above which I provided. They promptly banned me for no explained reason with only an appeal form to use. That went unanswered and I'm still banned. Feck em, will make do without.

8. I have avoided opening a FB or Twitter account.

To be honest it started as a way to niggle Mrs Nasher and some colleagues at work, but now it's become a matter of principle with me and I'm glad I've resisted.

On the other hand I know I miss out on some stuff.
    In the past I have been unable to contact small companies that use FB as their only Web advertising, and there is currently a thread on here by somebody who isn't happy enough with a factory put together V4, but is only prepared to share the images of what he's doing on FB.

Nasher

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Thing is that everyone can choose to have, or not have, a facebook account. No problem with anyone who does not want one. Do find it a bit childish when those who don't want one come up with all sorts of rubbish about data being stolen to try and get others to close their accounts.
    Has been great for me.

10. I thought you'd gone to Repsol Honda now?

11. Even if you are not on Facebook, the chances are you will be, albeit unwittingly. People take photos and insist on posting them, if you're in the photo you will be tagged, shared and seen by all and sundry god knows how many times. Problem comes when you're somewhere you shouldn't be or worse with someone you shouldn't. Friend of my missus was out with a group having a meal, photos were taken and posted. In the background was a chap and woman enjoying a meal together. A friend of a friend who didn't even know the OP spotted the man as being another of her friends husband who was having an affair - Busted!

As for evil that's Alexia, it will come back to haunt you one day. A bit like HAL 9000. There to help but it's taking it all in, then one day it'll lock you out of your space station. Don't say I didn't warn you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. It will all start with Alexia locking the doors to keep you in for your own safety.

13. Sí tengo y estoy contento con el progreso que ganso :upyeah:

14. Not possible to tag someone who does not have a Facebook account in the first place as far as I know. To just put a name against someone in a photo with no profile association would mean nothing at all and not be searchable in Facebook.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Thanks @everclear

@Bob T, it was more to stop the constant e-mails about ‘ a lot has happened since you last visited’ etc :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I don’t get any emails from FB
    You can customise what you want and who you want to see things
    You can lock posts and photos to just you only
    No one will speak to you because they don’t know you are there
    Emails you can set to preference

I have never put my phone number on there and my email is for me only and my account is private and I’m set not to appear in and google search or other search engines

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Unless someone hacks it hen starts posting stuff that could get you locked up. Even if it doesn’t, your online profile would have history against it that can affect more than just your virtual existence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. If you are that interesting and famous as an individual that someone would want to hack your account which has not been used, then everybody probably knows who you are anyway. Can't understand why anyone would spend ages hacking something for no financial reason.
    As I said earlier, if you don't like it or are frightened of it then don't use it.
    If you are frightened of someone finding something out about you then don't put any information on the web in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  19. [​IMG]

Are you toadfish from Neighbours :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information