1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fairing Repairs

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Sambighair, May 2, 2017.

1. Ok so i had a scrap fairing that was snapped in to bits, it had been glued together but it wasnt a massively stable repair, i thought id have a go with plasti-fix that i saw ont tinterweb but found out it was 35 quid for a small packet, upon futher research i discovered people have used super glue and baking soda in a similar way, so £2.50 later i gave it a go!
    First i used gaffer tape to hold the pieces firmly together, then using a cutting bit in a dremel removed about a third of the thickness of the fairing, this exposes the unpainted plastic and creats a groove giving more suface area to bond to. 20170502_130627.jpg
    I cleaned all surfaces with white spirts and blew them off with compressed air and made sure they were clean and dry before sprinkling baking soda into the channels, once all the channels were full and every so slightly proud with the bs i ran a few drops of super glue on top, you dont need much at all!
    It sets almost instantly and i was able to turn the fairing over and do the same on the back.
    Im well impressed! Seems like a super strong join. Having given the fairings a jolly enthusiastic flexing the joints hold well and feels as strong as the uncracked plastic,the concoction sands nicely too!
    Ill see how it holds paint at a later date but as a track fairing i think this will be just fine! 20170502_130547.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. What make / type of super glue and baking soda?

3. I tried Plastifix and found it weak. Q-Bond is much stronger but you need to use filler over the top.

4. Locktite super glue and bicarbonate/baking soda fron asda. I had nowt to lose as the fairing was gettng binned but im keeping it now!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Glad i didnt buy any then!

6. What about using mitre glue and activator?

7. I needed something that has a bit of substance to it so i could fill the channels id cut out. I also mixed the glue and soda together in a lump to see how tough it is, i reckon if you could make a mould out of modeling clay or similar you could make replacement lugs and tabs!

8. Good work! That Q-bond stuff is amazing. I keep sticking my fingers together / burning my skin with it. Can't get enough.

9. Ive not needed to try it yet! Bakin soda and glue seems to be doing the job!

10. Try driving it into a grouse at speed, it'll verify the repair.

11. Said everyone in Manchester in the early 90's.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. True story!

13. Well after abit of sanding and a quick coat of spray paint and laquer (both rattlecan) here is the end result, the join is ever so slighty visable in certain light but thats because i didn't use any filler at all...my bad! If i was working on a half decent fairing i would have spent more time but this as just a trial and error sort of deal, im happy with the results and now have a spare track fairing rather than a few bits of broken plastic!
    20170508_125626.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  14. You need to draw an S on that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. nice job - is it still holding firm? (I'm a bit concerned about chemical reactions with the baking powder)

16. @bikermike still seems solid as the rest of the fairing!

• Like Like x 1
  17. sounds good - I need to patch up my 888

18. Try it on some scrap plastic first and see what you think!

19. I'll try it on the broken nose fairing first...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information