1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Or Legit?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by pasty PFC, Feb 21, 2018.

?
  1. Fake

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. Legit

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. So I bought a bottle of shell advance on eBay. When it arrived it had leaked into the packaging box. On inspection I notice there is no metallic/paper seal beneath the cap. Now I don’t remember buying any automotive fluids without that type of seal since way back. Am I being paranoid or is it likely I am being sold low quality oil in high quality packaging?

2. The only reason the seal is gone is that someone opened the bottle up. Who knows what they did with the contents or what is in there now?

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Don't risk it ,get rid of it and get some more from a proper stockists, either motorbike dealer or Halfords.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. If you have paid with paypal you can get a full refund if the item listed was as new in the description!?:thinkingface:

5. Why on earth would you buy oil from Ebay ?? For that matter, I can't think of anything I would buy from Ebay ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  6. If you're unhappy and unsure, don't use it.

7. Send it back....or open a case within ebay rules.
    BTW I have a good friend in Hungary who is working for Audi engine development team, he reckons couple of years ago at least 50% of the engine oils sold there where Russian or Chinese made.Favorite brand for these scammers was Castrol, he said it was very difficult to spot from the original as even the hologram was 80% right.
    I buy oils from Opie oils..cannot trust even the smaller shops.

8. Can it be customs checking content?

9. I doubt it would have come from offshore due to shipping costs - my 1098 Forged Wheels from the USA are currently held in Coventry at Parcelforce by Customs :mad:

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  10. Should have bought real 1098 wheels then, shouldn't ya?

Counterfeit wheels are a false economy (not that any of your bikes actually require wheels).

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. i cant say if shell advanced comes with a tamper proof seal, but much of the oil i buy in gallons containers for the workshop doesent.

12. i cant say if shell advanced comes with a tamper proof seal, but much of the oil i buy in gallons containers for the workshop doesent.

13. You can't say that twice? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. This is an on the road one, unlike my spare 749R petrol tank :yum

15. no, but i can charge double :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Nothing gets past the Coverntry Parcelforce Customs Nazi Party. :mad:

Expect them to be in touch via your local office soon, to demand their pound of flesh.

17. Nothing to declare :innocent: on hold for more than 24 hours now :mad:

18. It's a shame that tank won't ever see proper use by a proper biker but will instead rot in some rich blokes's shed.

19. We could resolve the proper use by selling it to you, that is where this tale would have to end though :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Just had a look at a 4 litre Shell Advance plastic container I used, and it has a tamper proof plastic cap with a frangible ring which sits below a flange on the container neck, but no foil seal below the cap.

Should be easy to see if the container has been previously opened, but won't indicate if its genuine or not...

No idea about other size Shell Advance containers.

Mr Bimble.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information