1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

False Neutral

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gary Warren, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Good evening and a Happy new year to all. I have a 98 , 748 which occasionally gives me a false neutral, the fluid looks dark to me could this be the problem. ( renew clutch fluid) or could it be more of an issue has anyone had this problem. Many thanks

2. Can happen if you're not firm with the gear lever. Nothing to worry about.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Chain adjustment can affect it.

4. And gear lever height adjustment. if you are getting false neutrals on upshifts try adjusting the lever down a little and vice-versa if your problem is with downshifts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. The fluid going dark is quite normal. It is because the fluid gets hot from the slave cylinder location. Doesn't hurt to change it but it won't solve false neutrals. Anyway, you shouldn't need to use the clutch!

6. Even footwear can make a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks chaps . It happens when I've stopped , knocked it into neutral going by the light on the dash but it's still actually in gear

8. Most likely the switch needs shimming, they can be very temperamental, it might need a thicker shim. Try slackening the switch off half a turn before removing it and see if that helps, if it does then fit a slightly thicker washer on. At worst it might need a new switch.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Never trust the light on the dash!
    Birdie just beat me to it about the switch and the shim beneath it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cheers Steve

11. Thanks Derek

Do Not Sell My Personal Information