1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

False Neutrals!!

Discussion in 'Monster' started by John Mac821, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Although I'm very impressed with my new Monster 821 Stripe, I do have one criticism and that is I hit a lot of false neutrals on every ride, both when changing up and down shifting. I have adjusted the gear shift three times in an attempt to cure the problem, and although it is better it has still not solved problem completely.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#1 John Mac821, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Chain tension?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've never had a false neutral yet. You just need to be a bit more forceful when changing gear (ie boot it).

And thread moved :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yep, have checked the chain tension and it's fine.

5. A lot of these ducatis need a good firm shove into gear. Could be a selector issue if there is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'll try using a bit more force and see how it goes, thanks all.

7. The boxes, like the engines need a bit of mileage to loosen up. Once a few thousand miles on it, should be fine. (unless a fault does actually exist.....obviously) :)

8. Hi, mine had a lot of false when new , after a couple of thousand miles become a lot better !

9. Re: force required, a clue to this can be whether a false neutral happens nearly always on an up change rather than a down change. Most people find it harder to exert force by lifting a foot and it might be good to look at if you can make this more comfortable by adjustment etc. I can find with a stiff pair of boots in the winter I am missing gears more often and it's always on an up change.

10. I had this on my 1299. It was because the throw on the lever was larger than I was used to with my small feet. I changed the rear sets to some that reduced the throw and the problem immediately went away.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Hi guys, excuse the lateness of me getting back on the forum but I work abroad and have had problems logging into the site. Anyway, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I adjusted the gear shift and after trying three different positions I seem to have found the right balance, but as bladders suggested, I also use a bit more force when changing up, so, so far so good. :)

12. After 2k miles it gets better!

13. Well my false neutral problem finally seems to have been sorted after a year of living with it.

Despite adjusting the gear shift and fitting aftermarket levers in attempt to stop false neutrals occurring between 4th & 5th, nothing seemed to prevent them from occurring on every ride and I had resigned myself to living with it. However, since following the advice of the mechanic (Chris at Millsport, in Ballymoney) who when carrying out the first annual service pointed out that after about 2000 miles and everything on the bike in great working order, I shouldn't be hitting so many, so he advised me to refit the standard levers, and assured me it would solve the problem, well I'm pleased to say he was completely right. Immediately after the service I refitted the standard levers and haven't hit a false neutral in over 200 miles, so fingers crossed the problem is solved and another huge thanks to Millsport. :)

#13 John Mac821, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Glad you've sorted it now mate. Had the same on both my Duc's but slowing my shift down a little bit and being a bit firmer with the selector has cured the issue for me ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. always had japanese bikes with not too many problems but yes my 916 is always playing up with the N

16. Yeah, I never had an issue with any of my Japenese sports bikes either, what milage is on your 916? As I said I tried several options to solve with no joy. I don't know if maybe it was the first big service that has rectified alone but certainly the combination of the service and refitting the levers seems to have to finally done it.

17. under 6000mls but it has had some track days with the first owner,a good pair of boots and be firm with the lever!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information