1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Fantastic Plastic And Other Goodies

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by chrisjk, Oct 13, 2018.

1. No, not the stuff killing life in the oceans but a few bits I have bought for my 1260

Biggest bang for the buck
    1. Throttle spacer - excellent albeit very expensive for what it is. Results are worth it however, it transforms the bike.
    2. Jamie's screen spacers (used in conjunction with my Puig screen) - work well and smooth out the airflow a lot. I can ride with my visor open and even at speed there is no unwanted buffeting or unpleasant winds in the face. This was the case this afternoon too, in very windy conditions.
    3. Palmer Products chain adjustment spanner - makes a fiddly job very easy, not having to use the two piece thing in the toolkit.
    Moderate bang for the buck
    1. Keyless fuel cap. Along with the TPMS I think this should have been on the bike as standard (like BMW and KTM offerings for their top level touring machines). It was expensive but worth it to me - I really like not having to fiddle with keys and risk losing them.
    2. TPMS. Like the fuel cap, a nice to have but worth it to me.
    Least bang for the buck
    1. Satnav bracket - I had to buy an extra fitting to get it to work with my phone as it's designed for the Ducati/Garmin offering. I wish Jamies Iconic offering had been available before I spent money on this. Also, It’s a poor solution to the problem of fitting a satnav to the bike and shakes badly on rough roads. In this day and age, proper provision for stands/phones ought to be made on touring bikes.
    2. Comfort seat - neither that comfortable nor much of an improvement over the standard seat IMHO.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. I'd disagree with some of these.
    I think the comfort seat is a huge (but expensive) improvement over the standard seat.
    Likewise the Navihalter (might be different from the Ducati offering) puts the sat Nav in the right position

The other Best Buys?
    A blank key which I use for fuel stops and unlocking the seat, that way the smart key always stays in my pocket.
    Duc E gizmo to take the dumb exhaust valve out of the equation and leave it open

• Like Like x 1
  3. I also use a seperate key for the gascap, plus fitted the Ducee when I pulled the cat out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I too have a separate blank key - still need it for the luggage which is inevitable unless one wants the bike to be a Goldwing or something.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Something to consider:
    The stock fuel map is written to maximize the AFR while still complying with sound level requirements.
    By disabling the exhaust valve from closing, your engine will now run leaner in that specific rpm range.
    IMHO, disabling the valve without further fine-tuning the fuel map to compensate with make your engine run worst than stock.
    In the absence of re-mapping, you're only increasing the sound level. not the performance.

6. It doesn’t. If anything, it seems to run better ime. And you can’t custom map a DVT afaik, no one has cracked it yet

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. For starters, I'm totally onside with you about deleting that unnecessary valve.
    However, the steady exhaust note may just be a placebo for an increase in performance.
    Yes, you can have a custom map for the DVT by adding a RapidBike. I have such a unit and very familiar with its software.
    https://rapidbike.us/products/rb-evo-ducati-multistrada-10-14
    Once there, you can select the 2015~17 model year.
    Moreover, I spoke to Yaman at RapidBike where it is now being programmed for the 1260.
    The unit I own was previously on my Panigale which I will have re-programmed for my new Multistrada 1260.

#7 DarR, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  8. I cut the cat out of the original large box and fitted the duc-EE thingy, I have to say not only does it sound better but after many miles it goes better, smother I reckon accelerating away.

9. hilltop motorcycles are able to map the DVT

10. Used Hilltop for my Kawasaki, excellent service.

11. That’s not a custom map: it’s one that is a general one probably copied form a termi up map. I assume what they are doing is like a PC5, ie making the ecu think it’s at different revs. Whichever you choose it’s a general one size fits all map with any of the additional device ones.

A custom map is one that flashes on to the ecu and is determined by lots of dyno time and specific to that bikes build (air box, timing, exhaust). I think CJS said they have now started to crack the `DVT but not heard anything since

12. Really/ full re map by Nike rather than flash a map on to a pc5?

About time someone could tho, they’ve been out 3 years :upyeah:

Have you seen/heard any dyno differences? The single spark used to give massive difference when mapped, be interesting to see what impact on a DVT

13. IMHO and experience by removing the cat in addition to opening-up the valve without re-balancing the AFR, you have reduced the torque and the HP. Guaranteed. Your bike is simply louder now.

14. Isnt the DVT kind of designed to work around that? More so that old bikes, anyway. And isn’t it the lambda sensors that support telling the ecu to compensate?

Probably worthwhile if you can add something to aid fuelling I’d guess, but may be more peace of mind than anything else.

15. Pretty sure CJS racing in Bristol now can do DVT Ecu flashing.

16. Sorry mate but I don’t agree at all. I have ridden the bike in this condition now for probably 500 miles on varying journeys and I reckon it’s smoother all round, and only slightly louder to boot.

17. Not at all. The initial map is but a starting point. The RapidBike program then self-adapts and overrides the ECU.
    The RB unit takes the info from the exhaust lambda sensors and adjust the fueling ratio accordingly. From there, you can manually micro-adjust each cell thus creating a custom map.

18. If it’s overriding the ecu, how does it cope with the variable timing? And if the unit can self adjust, what makes you think the ecu isn’t?

I’d be surprised , given the development into the DVT, if it wasn’t already doing that and keeping the engine on the right side of safe. Whereas, custom mapping keeps it just in the right side of blowing :joy: up so it’s better and more power etc

19. By "overriding", I'm referring to post ECU adjustments.

#19 DarR, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  20. "Put it on a dyno"
    For example, very few exhaust slip-ons add power without an AFR adjustment. Those that do, only do so at the top of the rev range where most bikes run slightly rich.
    Not one after-marker slip-on manufacturer will show you a "before and after" dyno chart in their marketing material.

I have yet to see a dyno chart with improvements in the already lean "mid-section" of the rev range. In fact, those charts show a decrease in mid range torque because of over-leanness.
    I don't expect you to take my word for it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information