1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Faulty Thermostat?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Mattmk1, May 9, 2019.

1. Hi, I noticed last summer in Germany that my bike was running super hot. In slow traffic the temps were regularly bumping 107 before the fans would nudge them back down to 103, and the heat cool cycle repeated.

I also noticed that unless I was doing 40mph or so the temps were not falling on their own. Air temp was 30 degrees.

Fast forward 9 months, took the bike for MOT and the running temp is barely 60 degrees at brisk pace and air temp around 10 degrees.

If this was a car I would say my thermostat is partially open and stuck? Is this possible on the Ducati? Are the temps normal?

I’m debating a manual fan switch for this summer?

Bike is an 1198s with full termis, mapped nicely and running well otherwise!

Thanks

2. This looks normal to me on an 1198 with full 70mm in 30°C. Hows your right calf? Toasty?

3. This is pretty normal, although 60 degrees is particularly low.
    There have been discussions on here before about why it should be that Ducati spec thermostats that open so early and if the low temperatures mean the ecu is providing a rich mixture as a result.
    It does seem like madness to deliberately fit a thermostat that opens in the 60 degree range and fans that kick in at over 100, giving a designed in operating range of 35 degrees or so. Why????

4. You could get someone to re flash the ecu so the fans come on sooner. Did this to mine.

5. Thanks, maybe mine is normal then, just hate watching that temp gauge like a hawk, but I guess the bikes been designed to live with those temps.

It is a big window of operation, most engine stats seem to try and maintain 80 degrees give or take.

I thought you could only adjust the fan setting with an afterMarket ecu?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information