1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Fender Eliminator Kit

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ash Hussain, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Hi guys,
    was wondering if this type of number plate holder would be considered illegal in the UK, MOT failure etc.

ducati1098_106.jpg

2. Construction and use section of the road traffic act requires the numberplate to be behind the rear wheel. In real terms there is a level of leeway/tolerance but the overriding requirement is for the font to be the correct size, type face and positioned at an angle that is readable from behind. The numberplate in your picture will get you a fixed penalty fine and points and an order to get it sorted. It will most definitely also fail an MoT. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Andy.
    I think my current number plate holder is stock and damn its ugly, Whilst searching I came across this one, and thought it would look nice. shame. :(

4. I bought the Ducati ‘optional’ rear number plate hanger for my V4 and it is a huge improvement over the ‘legal’ stock item. Not sure if there was a similar one for the 1098/1198/848. Might be worth a search. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Andy, will hunt one down now. Once Ive read up on the law regarding number plates. lol

6. Its a £100 fine. You dont get points for a numberplate, although that may be a new change I'm not aware of.

So far Ive had 2 x £60 fines (before fine increase) and a £100 fine since 2011. I call it my vanity tax.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I was about to post about the Melotti, Andy beat me to it.

I have one on mine and it's a lovely piece of kit really well made. IMHO it is worth the cash (the R&G one is a piece of......well not the same quality)

Just one thing to bear in mind though, if you scroll through the pictures you will see 2 types of number plate lights.

One has 4 exposed LEDS on it, the other is enclosed. If it were me I'd make sure I got the enclosed type.

My MOT tester is a really reasonable guy, but he pulled me up for having the exposed one on, as it was a white light showing to the rear (it's quite noticeable)

I complained bitterly to the company that sold me it and got an enclosed one, but if you state from the outset what you want it miight save you some hassle

John

• Like Like x 1
  8. You really are after being pulled up and fined with the mods you’re investigating.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I know right! Lol. I ride about 200miles a year. I’m hoping I’ll stay under the radar. Lol.

10. Thanks John. Much appreciated for the advice.

11. I have a Melotti for sale...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information