1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ferries From Italy To Sicily

Discussion in 'Touring' started by MrsC_772, Aug 21, 2017.

1. I know the dates haven't yet been announced but I'm already starting to plan a WDW 2018 trip with a fellow Monsterista, involving a few days in Sicily (we're both Inspector Montalbano fans) before heading to Misano.

Has anyone here taken a motorcycle on the ferries operated by GNV or Grimaldi between Genoa and Palermo, Palermo or Termini Imerese and Civitavecchia or Palermo and Livorno? (We'd thinking outbound from Genoa to Palermo, return crossing ports depending on which day ferries are running, to best coincide with arriving in time for WDW).

I've taken my bike on cross Channel and Isle of Man ferries where the crew strap your bike down with a pad over the seat, but have no idea how well geared up Italy-Sicily ferries are for bikes. (I get the sense some of the Sicily ferries are primarily used by lorries, while others are a bit more tourist friendly).

Any tips on ferries to, and riding round Sicily, gratefully received (beyond "avoid riding/driving in Palermo" and "Sicily is bigger than you think and getting anywhere takes longer than you'd expect").

2. I don't have anything to add to this post except that Inspector Montalbano is a fanny magnet and I wish I was him! (No homo.)

3. I'm guessing they do; they had tie downs on Grimaldi from Barcelona to Rome. I know that there are organised bike tours which do Palermo - Sicily - Messina routes, so they must be used to them. Last time I used a rope on a ferry was to Greece a few years ago. If in doubt, buy your own straps from a hardware store for about £2 each.

Give them a call or e-mail to ask?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information