1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Filling Cooling System...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AndrewS, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Good morning

I'm in the process of sorting out a leaking radiator on my 1198S and thinking ahead to re-filling the system when the leak is sorted.. According to the Ducati workshop manual (this one http://a20.net/~bert/files/ducati/1198-manual-2009/wsm/en/home.html) you're supposed to fill the expansion tank (not the radiator) then run the engine until the fans come on to fill the system. This doesn't seem right to me - the top of the expansion tank is well below the top of the radiator so how does the rad get filled??? I would have thought it makes more sense to fill the system through the radiator cap (even though it looks a pita to remove without removing the whole front fairing)...

Any help/advice gratefully received.

TIA

Andrew

2. This is a royal pain in the arse. I filled from rad till it was topped, then squeezed all the pipes to bleed the air etc but its a nuisance. I then checked bottle etc. But you need to make a water bottle with a hose on lid and squeeze it in there. Theres very little room. Plus I'd take rad bolt out and lower rad for more room. Then run the bike up to temps and let it settle. Then topped bottle as req'd. Prob wrong way but it worked for me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information