1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Finally Back On The Bike After 9 Months ....woop De Do

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bigyin, May 26, 2019.

1. Following my accident last year after a 300 mile storm ride on the way home from another forum track event at Pembrey i thought i would be back on a bike in a few weeks as the A and E diagnosed soft tissue damage to my shoulder that should take a month or so to get better .... oops [​IMG]

9 months later and 3 months on from surgery to fix the torn muscles, damaged tendons and fucked rotator cuff i finally felt like i was safe to ride again. I have been very patient and followed the advice of my Physioterrorist to slowly build up movement and strength in the shoulder after 4 weeks of 24/7 wearing a sling and immobilisation to allow grafts in the shoulder to heal which was a complete restriction and fucking agony at every bump and slight movement. I had surgery on my other shoulder a few years ago but the prolonged pain on this one was a whole new level [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started swimming every day to try and move things along about 12 days ago and its worked a treat although do look a knob in the gym with 3KG weight in my left hand doing movement exercises [​IMG]

As my replacement Ducati has been garaged since buying it i had to actually MOT it as it had past its 3 year point while not being used (late reg 16 plate Grantourismo). First thing Friday morning i was at the MOT centre and got the pass ticket then off we went

150 Miles later in the sunshine with a stop for lunch on roads i know and were fairly open and grinning from ear to ear and no issues with the injuries. Finally scrubbed in the tyres from buying it in October :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back out on Saturday as it was sunshine again and this time on some tighter. very twisty back roads with less than perfect surfaces to push the shoulder a bit and see where i am in recovery. Another 100 or so miles in a couple of hours but this time i felt it in the upper arm where the muscles hadnt been used in months. This i can take as i know it will improve over time with more physio. All in all really pleased with the progress and now time to get some miles under my belt as the weather improves and have more days end covered in bugs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 months is the longest i can remember not being on a bike and i had forgotten just how much i enjoyed it [​IMG]

Beers on me and i'll try not to hit any more invisible water filled potholes this time

• Like Like x 28
  2. A very short one from me to you,Fantastic back in the saddle again:upyeah:
    #motorbiking:motorcycleduc: once in the blood that's it for life:):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  3. :blush::upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Been riding since i was 14 and previous longest off duration was 5 months due to severe bells palsy and fucked up balance and eyesight in 1999 ....after the crash while boarded and head strapped down in A and E the docs said to the missus, "maybe a time to talk him away from bikes" ...she replied "yeah good luck with that, never happening" :D

• Like Like x 5
  5. Welcome back to the saddle big fella. :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Good news!

• Like Like x 2
  7. What they coin 'food' from McDeath isn't going to give you much nutrients. Just so you know my opinion on those pink-slime selling robot replacing young-foolish workers.

Enjoy yourself; "..when the wound heals never forget the pain".

• Like Like x 3
  8. Brilliant to see you back on a bike after your trials with the shoulder issue. Great news, but take things steadier than perhaps you might have a mind to at times.
    Keep reflecting on what you've had to do just to get where you are now and it will completely pay off for you in the end.

Having had a far less concerning problem with a rotator cuff issue myself, which has taken me around 6 months to get anywhere near back to before the after, it takes much more time than anyone would expect.
    Well done to you, a really positive story.
    :cool::upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. excellent news

• Like Like x 2
  10. Great! Never give up.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cheers, i did my right rotator cuff a couple of years ago and was in a sling for a week and back to normal in probably 3 months doing weights etc back at the gym. This time the road was much longer due to getting muscles stitched and grafted together so listened to the professionals and have taken it step by step as getting on a bit in years so need it to be right ;)

12. After a freak rollerskating accident, some surgery and all the same physio, light weights, rehab, swimming and comfort eating,,,, a lot. I eventually got back on (the bike and skates, and skateboard), so,, I feel your pain. Literally. We live and maybe even learn eh. Glad your enjoying the feeling (in all senses of the word) again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. well in mate, good to see you back on one and well on the road to recovery !, never know we might actually get a ride organised this century !:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cheers Tubbs, will try and be oop north a few times in the next few months :upyeah:

15. Probably about time to update this one as not been riding much and concentrating on swimming and such to build the shoulder up slowly

Today was a good day...300 miles riding down to London and back with loads of filtering and the cut and thrust of the city traffic.

I went down for the purpose of visiting the Imperial War Museum and also visiting an old racing mate who runs FWR on Kennington Road. Top day in the sunshine, good catch up with him and really enjoyed the get together and no real big issues with the shoulder but weirdly i wasnt fully comfortable on the trip down looking at things i might hit (cheesecutter carriageway dividers on the A11 as i almost went under the solid ones) if i crashed again which freaked me out a bit. I did notice a bit of pain in upper arm again but no big issues

Once in the city got into filtering more and on the way back really started to enjoy it again as i used to be a bike courier about 30 years ago before joining the military and the pain had gone so more use seems to be good thing in bike conditioning. By the time i was heading home i had gone from "take it steady" to " get through the traffic" on the M11 and A11 so again a positive

All in all a good day, confidence returned a lot and feel more at one with the bike again so roll on the 700 mile round trip to Pembrey Race Track in Wales in a couple of weeks for the same event that finished in my crash this time last year and kept me off the bike and away from riding for so long .. time to put the final demons to bed methinks ;)

There was a bloke in at FWR with a puncture on a new Hypermotard just back from France whose bike was being used by R and G as a mould for something. Posh speaking and offered to translate for a posh phone customer, Dair jacket and DucatiCorse Arai helmet .....anyone here ?

• Like Like x 8
Do Not Sell My Personal Information