1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Finding Neutral

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by GEH007, Mar 29, 2019.

1. I picked up a brand new 1200 Enduro yesterday. I have moved form a 14 Pikes Peak and a 11 S before that. So I've been on these Multis for a long time now.

Overall the difference from the 14 to the Enduro is quite staggering, Im genuinely shocked how much better it is.

Now, the bike has only done 10 miles out of the crate, but going from 2nd to 1st needed a real shove, and finding neutral from 2nd or 1st with engine running was more difficult than the DaVinci code. As a few more miles go on the DVT/box, will this just bed in and get easier and less stiff?

Appreciate any thoughts.

2. check you gear lever is fitted properly and maybe move its position. Worth checking the chain first too, just in case PDI wasn't the best (things get missed)

3. It can be tough sometimes, though rocking the bike forward or backward slightly can help. Yes it will get easier over the coming mileage. Rock on 621miles for proper oil!!

ps: Pull those rubber bungs off the pegs.

4. Thanks.
    How would removing the rubber peg bungs help?

5. It will get better with miles for sure especially with the engine hot. I have 22000 km and still when cold it’s a bitch to find neutral. Try also to do the process before stopping so it’s still rolling forward a bit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I had a similar issue with mine and just persevered up to the first service along with lots of gear changes moving the revs about during the run in period. Only problem now is when I mess it up

• Like Like x 1
  7. Do nothing. Totally normal stuff here. It’s a hand built gearbox and will take the run in miles and an oil change before it gets where it needs to be. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

It will get progressively better over the next few hundred miles, just be patient and it will be transformed after an oil change at first service.

Mart

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gives you better feeling of the engine vibes & much more grip leaning it over. A word to the wise, when fueling up I always put my bike on center stand. Then rock it off and turn it way slightly from me so the weight leans in. A number of people have had the bike go over on the forecourt due to not expecting the weight. Plus removing those rubbers sure makes it look better. You can flip the actual feet to raise or lower also!

#8 GunZenBomZ, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Had heard that this was an issue with the DVT before I collected mine. Was obvious when I arrived at the first set of lights when pulling away from the dealer, couldn't find neutral for the 30 seconds or so before they changed to green. However, progressively improved and after break-in service was far better. Now no issue at all at 1400 miles. Changing down to neutral before the wheels stop turning may help you in the mean time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. My 30'000km dvt finds neutral perfectly. Everytime. I think they have a tendancy to vary between individual bikes. As said, hopefully it will come good quickly...

11. mine was brand new, just 5 miles on it when delivered, no issues at all between 1st and 2nd and finds neutral every time.

12. It won't
    Try bleeding the clutch fluid. While the shift lever may be a little stiff in it's new state, trouble finding neutral and getting into 1st indicate air in the clutch fluid

13. My experience with three Multistradas has been similar. From brand new neutral finding has been stiff at first, but gradually eases with usage and running in. Nothing to worry about.

14. As has been said - i bought my Enduro with 600 miles on it, and it was the same. Now added about 2000 that and it's getting better. I had a new 1200 Monster prior to that, and it was exactly the same. The gearbox gets better with age, just like it's owner!

15. If it persists there is a dealer technical procedure to sort it.

16. Likewise with both of mine, just slip it into neutral as you approach a junction. Also make sure you have sufficient slack on the lever.

17. Pull the clutch lever all the way in with all four fingers, blip the revs if needed.

18. Dealer advised either letting the clutch out a little until it starts to engage and then pulling back in if stationary or knocking it into neutral from second as you approach the stop (which my instructors frowned upon :( ).

Just had my 621 mile service and the gearbox does seem a lot smoother since. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Finding neutral on my 1260 PP is a challenge to say the least. My odo just turned 1000kms and the bike's going-in for first service this week. Looking forward to the improvement in this context. Will report back.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information