1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firearm/shotgun Licence

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by yev, Aug 9, 2020.

1. I want to apply for one. anyone got one on here?
    Questions:
    I need to disclose any criminal offences On the application including speeding offences. Does it includes 3 points on the licence I got 7 years ago? Or do they refer to speeding ban?

also- if I apply by joint firearm / shotgun licence rather then just shotgun licence- will I be reducing my chances?

and finally : I need 2 references, not very clear if those need to come from existing licence holders or anyone would do?

any info appreciated!

2. OK - disclose everything, even if you think it's irrelevant. Both together, or coterminous, makes little difference if you have sufficient and suitable land for the firearm - the law states however that to own a shotgun you must prove that you are a suitable owner - a firearm you must prove that you have need and ground.Both require suitable security but, as far as I'm aware, the FEO's are not doing home checks at the moment. Referees do not need to be licence holders but need to be of a suitable social standing as it were - company owners, your boss, local counciller etc. You will also need a medical form to be filled in by your GP - this can involve a cost, usually around £60, but can be significantly more, some GP's simply refuse to fill them in.That's basically it - they are relevently easy to get if you tick all the boxes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I renewed my shotgun ticket a couple of months back and as on previous applications declared my fixed penalties from 18 or so years ago. Don't be tempted to try and hide anything no matter how minor it may seem, always be totally transparent and honest as they are using your answers to assess your suitability to own a potentially lethal weapon. If in any doubt give them a ring, I have always found firearms officers to be very approachable and helpful in the past and willing to answer any questions or concerns raised. The application paperwork that you now download gives all the details of who is acceptable to give a reference for you. All seems very daunting but in reality not too bad at all. I came under Cambridge and Herts firearms you may be under another area. If not sure the Golden rule is to ask them, they will appreciate that you are going about your application in a responsible way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Disclose everything, even spent convictions from youth. You require two very sound 10+ year character referrences'

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. To prove need its good to be a member of a shooting range/club.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I went for advanced dbs didn’t disclose what I thought irrelevant to the hospital the dbs showed everything and it created an issue that was resolved but it still throws up an issue of deception it definitely wasn’t in my mind but that’s irrelevant....whoever you are dealing with will have access to all known information about you anyway so just tell them

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Really? To apply for licence?

8. You definitely need a gun to do shooting a gun as a sport or hobby. Good way to show it.

9. Disclose everything. I understand some forces would prefer not to issue licences so you need to be open.
    As an aside, I was stopped recently by the county mounties who did a check on me, and as I could hear the radio, the very first thing that was mentioned was my firearms licence...

10. If ever the police are called to your house the first thing they check is if there is a firearm at the property. If there is they call a firearms unit to deal with whatever is happening. That comes from the horse's mouth.

11. You don’t need to be a member but it does help - firearms you may need to prove you have ground to shoot over

12. You do not need to be a member of a club - most clubs will not endorse your licence until you have been an active member for at least 6 months. You need to be a reliable character with a secure storage facility for a Shotgun and you need a valid reason for a Firearm along with approved land upon which to use it, all depending upon which calibre you apply for and sometimes how much experience you have with a Firearm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. That's a bit extreme. I'd just complain to Ducati UK.

If it is not a Ducati dealer, then fair enough...

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Be hard to shoot with out a gun ?

15. Just shoot your mouth off. I manage to do that regularly and I don't own a gun!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. PM me and ill put you in touch with my mate.....he shoots for a hobby, and is licenced to cull deer when they all start inbreeding.... Hes (so he tells me) in the process of going for his 50cal licence. Oh yeah...biker also (owns a KTM RC8r).

17. The best thing you can do is join the cpsa or basc that ensures you have 3rd party insurance - a club is not a requirement, I have been shooting since the age of 7 shotgun licence at 16 years old and never been a paid up member of a club. FAC licence is a lot harder to obtain - with out land to shoot over and a reason to own. You also most likely have to start with .22 as a maximum.

18. Sounds like a mission!

19. FAC is shotgun licence not to much of a problem- welcome to PM if needed

20. I believe for a shotgun licence you now need your GP to fill in a form that states you are medically fit to have one.
    I don’t have a firearms licence but it’s probably the same.
    Thames Valley Police wrote to me recently to offer me the chance of renewing my licence early, this letter told me of the GP form that’s now needed.
    I haven’t bothered as my GP surgery will not allow me anywhere near the place due to this virus nonsense.
    Rest assured there will be a charge to get the GP to complete the form.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information