1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mat Graham, May 3, 2018.

1. Evening all,

Today I passed my theory and start my training next week and was wondering what other peoples thoughts were on getting a 797 monster as a first bike?

2. Congratulations and welcome Mat. :) :upyeah:

The Monster would be a great 1st bike. :motorcycleduc:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Welcome along. 1200 monster would be a great first bike. Throttle goes both ways. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Welcome Mat:upyeah:I did it the old school way and stepped up the capacity, 125cc / 535cc / 600cc / 900cc

5. :upyeah: Monsters good

6. I did it the older school way - 250 at 17yrs for 3 months, Z1000 at 17.5yrs, 1200 Turbo at 18 - these younger pups don't know they are born - buy what you desire, as said above the throttle goes both ways :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. If you dont want new, an 1100 monster is a perfect first bike too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. welcome - I'd look at insurance differences for different capacities before deciding (but then again, I hate paying high insurance premiums)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I am 33 and have been driving for a few years. I don't have the desire to go fast. I really want the x diavel but understand this may be too much for a new learner. I have been advised that a 797 monster is a good starter but don't know if that was just sales patter to get me to buy.

10. Quite different in terms of riding position and weight and stuff. Depends on what you fancy.

11. Work your way up, David. And welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I agree. I don’t fancy telling people what to do.. but at the same time, it’s nice to not get your dream bike as a first bike so you can have that as something to look forward to, and you’ll have more skill when it comes to doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. This is why I was wondering about the monster as I have sat on it and found it comfortable but just making sure it wasn't salesman talk to get me to buy one as a first bike

14. My mate, new to bikes in hs 40's, bought an 1100S and still has it 5 years later. Loves it. Learned to ride on it, easy, manageable and fast enough that you don't get bored too soon if you happen to be quite good at riding :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. And a better all-rounder than a Diavel too, he just might change his mind :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. My mate at work did direct access, I advised he buy the Z1000 he wanted, all his family etc said get a 600, so he bought an FZ6. 5 months later he bought a Z1000 saying the FZ just didn't have enough..... Just sayin.

17. do you mean i will find the 797 too slow after a few months?

18. At 16, work ya way up, at 33, buy what you fancy and respect it a little :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Not too slow but you may want more, so why not just start with more ?

#19 Wayne58, May 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2018
  20. I have a mate who has been riding for years and he gave the same advice.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information