1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Ducati On It's Way

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by chrisb1299, Jun 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi all,

Still kind of pinching myself but yesterday I paid the holding deposit on a 1299 that I collect next Friday. Kind of all been a bit of a fast-paced decision in the end but sure one that I won't regret.

I've been riding since the end of 2014 and had an SV650s as my first bike so I've had a twin before albeit half the size and then ridden a GSX-R750 for the last three years. Just decided that it was time to move on to something different so and had always thought the 959 would be the bike I'd go to but the test ride left me wanting more, it just didn't feel like the step up in delivery that I'd hoped for over my 750, hence where the 1299 comes in.

One came up at a new dealer in Swindon that's higher mileage than others at 16k but it's had two owners, six Ducati stamps and two desmo services and for the price, it just made so much sense to me. Part of me kind of likes the idea of having a less pristine garage queen as when the inevitable little things happen it won't bother me as much. There are some stone chips on the front fairing but very minor so will be easy to touch up and then I'm thinking PPF.

Didn't get to ride the bike far as the dealer is still waiting on their trade plates from DVLA as they only opened two days before lockdown! But in the short trip around the industrial estate it was clear that the power increase is going to be MORE than enough!

Going to do some lurking around and reading of threads to learn more about the bikes but any suggestions of PPF and tank grips would be much appreciated.

I only have the dealer pics for now but will update with more next Friday!

1.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Very nice!!:upyeah:

3. Welcome to the Forum Chris :upyeah: and welcome to the Ducati world:)

4. Welcome looks very nice, enjoy.

5. Welcome to the forum. I used Auto Curators near Tylney Hall, Rotherwick, near Hook, for the ppf and ceramic polish on my V4. They are authorised Expel installers and will have a pattern in their system. Andy

6. Very nice and whilst understanding some like the big bikes I actually found my 848 was too much for the road, up here in Yorkshire especially north yorks police and camera vans are everywhere it takes the enjoyment out of a fast bike as how can you search a camera van out whilst trying to crack on? The 959 would surely be a mega bike? Other thing is I always prefer corners and handling above power anyway although my 250 Kawasaki likes neither :joy:

It’s a lovely looking mega bike and you need to get it and maybe get it out your system but everyone has done that...stay safe and keep ye license and enjoy your 959 when come back down next year :joy: :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome along Chris ,nice bike

8. Welcome to the fold.

9. Welcome to the fold Chris, bike looks great, enjoy.

Tried 959 and 1299 at Silverstone a few years ago. Personally I would have definitely had the 959 for road use but then I'm not normally a sports bike rider. Having said that my long time 996 riding mate thought the same.

10. Thanks for the welcome all.

Honestly I hadn’t even been thinking about a 1299, loved the 899 as soon as it came out, then the 959 (we don’t talk about the exhaust) and now the V2. I always thought one of them would be the next bike, but (and I know this sounds weird) I almost felt too comfortable on the 959 after an hour test ride. I think I only saw TC flash once, I could still pin 2nd without any real worry of the front lifting and I just got off the bike feeling that I’d be super comfortable on it within a month or so, the power level was just too similar to the GSXR. I loved the rest of the bike, I was just left wanting more. I didn’t get that big twin feeling of being able to ride the torque, it felt like it came in strong but then that was it.

The GSXR was such a step up from the SV and I kind of wanted the same again really. You’re right that I probably do need to get it out of my system but to get a 1299 for the same as 959 money it just made too much sense to me. With the 959 I would have wanted to add a blipper and exhaust but I feel like I don’t have to touch the 1299.

I’ll let you know how I get on after I’ve collected it next Friday, have booked the day off so hope the weather holds

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Welcome to the forum

12. Welcome and enjoy

13. Welcome and enjoy...
    And as the resident "ME" I will repost the pic so we can see it again. Its a beauty

[​IMG]

Rex

14. Beautiful bike

15. Welcome Chris.
    Stunning machine, I’m sure the 1299 will not disappoint.

16. Welcome to the world of Ducati enjoy next Friday I remember picking up my 1199s a couple of years ago it was an awesome experience
    Just don’t forget we need more pictures

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Hi and welcome

18. Nice bike that is mate. I nearly bought one myself but ended up with a new Aprilia RSV :astonished::astonished::astonished:

In terms of PPF, go to a professional who can also repair your stone chips, detail your bike and then apply the PPF. Look for a high quality self healing type and if your money can strech get the whole bike done as IMHO that's the best option for protection and not being able to see the tell tale lines of the DIY PPF's.

Enjoy the bike and when you want a proper bike get the Aprilia o_O:bomb:

19. Welcome in mate, I'm from Swindon and I know Darren the MD well, assuming you dealt with him rather than Chris.

Bike looks really nice, the Panigale is definitely a good step into Ducati's from GSXR750's.

Having had the desmo services is probably the main thing to make sure of which sounds positive, otherwise I think the only thing to watch on them is a few people have had failed gear position sensors and there are a few people who have had issues with fork seals going on those big Marzocchi forks. Neither are prevalent tbh so I wouldn't worry.

I've just gone from a 848 to a new Panigale V2, it was that or a used 1299S for me but couldn't quite get my head around that much power for what I do, I'm a waspy 2 stroke lad deep down so these big twins are far from my natural habitat really.

no denying what you have got there looks like a really nice clean one.

Let us know how you get on with the first few rides.

20. Welcome Dave:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information