1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 First Ducati, Overheating Problems.

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DodgeGT, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Hi All,

New to the Forum and Ducati ownership. I've bought an 1199 Tricolore and absolutely love it.

However, I bought it in the cooler months and when I was sat in traffic it would give me a high temperature warning. As soon as i moved above 5mph it would cool down again. It never controlled to a nice temperature.
    As the summer months have set in (South East so its about 20-25C at the moment) the bike was overheating all the time, doing 60mph and I was getting the yellow high temp warning come and go.

I've read many threads about these bikes running hot but i thought this was ridiculous.

So i stripped the fairings off and checked the coolant level, it was so low I could pull the right hand hose off the top radiator and the water level was about 2 inchs down the pipe. Worrying.

I've just filled the system properly and had her running in my garage (revving her quite hard) and it doesnt go above 104C now, perfect.

My concern is this, where did the water go? It had an engine rebuild a year ago so it may have not been topped up properly or its going somewhere else.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Is there any way to check the engine hasn't been damaged by the high temps?

Thank you for your help.

2. Water pump casing leaks on left side of bike. Check for residue there. Google it for some images as it seems to be common on 1199/1299.

3. It's very possible there was an air lock when last refilled which would have made it appear full when it wasn't at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Air lock is a good call... I 'burped' mine and it drop all round temps by a few degrees C.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information