1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Ducati!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Nikki, May 23, 2018.

1. Hi guys, bought myself my first Ducati Monster 1200 '15 6k Miles after passing my test 9 months ago. My first was an ER6 and second bike was an FZ1 so this is completely different. A couple of things have got me a little, first of all the clutch, I have moved the lever as far in as I can but still it is way to far out causing the biting/friction point to be very far out making an uncomfortable use, is there any way to adjust this? How about using some aftermarket levers that come closer to the bars? Second off, the mirrors, very nice however they vibrate that much when going down any road I cannot see the vehicle behind me as it is to blurry. I thought about bar end mirrors but the bars are wide enough already. Third off, the engine sounds rattley, please forgive me if this is completely normal but as I said different to my other bikes, I suspect its due to their dry clutch but would like a confirmation and last but not least the exhaust, this also sounds like it rattles, again I suspect all normal, the pipes shake so much when revving it at a stand still, I guess due to the amount of torque it produces. Finally, last of all, when I put it in to neutral sometimes the N green light doesn't appear but the bike is in neutral, not quite sure on this one. Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks guys any help is much appreciated!

20180523_131011.jpg

20180523_131046.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Welcome Dave and thread moved

3. Welcome @Nikki Don't worry about the rattle(s), it's a Ducati. :motorcycleduc: o_O

You can adjust the biting point of your clutch by the rotating knob on your lever. Make sure you can engage gear and find neutral easily though if you are moving it closer to the bars. :upyeah:

4. Welcome dude :cool::upyeah: or Dudette :thinkingface::upyeah:

#4 Exige, May 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
  5. Hi @Robarano. The rattles, I thought that may be the case :). I have rotated the knob to the minimum but it still seems very far out, this may be due to small hands. I have bought some levers that seem to bend a bit more to bring them closer to the bars. How about that neutral light? Sometimes it wants to work and other times it doesn't, that one I am very confused about.

6. Neutral light could be a sticky switch. See if it improves with use would be my advice.

7. Nice bike!

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. I shall do, seeing as its only been ridden 6k in 4 years shows me its not been ridden vert much unfortunately. Also, was riding down the motorway about 80mph, it seemed like it was between gears, I went to go from 5th to 6th and it was just revving to the red line, I think this simply may be where the biting point is so far out I didn't release 100%, nothing else I can think of. Probably just not used to the Ducati :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome.

My 17 year old 750SS has always had a very casual relationship with its neutral light. On again, off again. I am a bit old school, I have never used the neutral light to tell me whether the bike is in neutral or not - I grew up never trusting them and always use the rock-back-and-forth method.

My 999 sometimes finds the neutral between 5th and 6th. Normally this is when I have become slack and casual in my gear changes.

I hope you can find a set of longer fingers to help you with the clutch lever - otherwise it is likely to be an after-market set of levers for you.

Nice looking bike : o )

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks for the welcome!

Being new to riding of only 9 months, I'm still getting used to riding let alone 3 different bikes.. Happy to know that sometimes a false neutral comes up between 5th and 6th on occasions, hopefully not to regular however.

I can sure try some finger exercises but either way, ordered a nice shiny set of new levers :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yep sounds all to familiar
    My mirrors on my SS preferred the tarmac to the traffic
    You will get used to it all in time

Welcome into the mad house and you forgot ya bins!!! :punch:

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Welcome to the forum:upyeah:cool ride

13. My mirrors will also prefer the tarmac when I remove them from the bike..

Ah my bad! I shall post some fancy bins asap.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome along :cool:

15. That's a beauty! Enjoy the lovely weather this weekend.

16. As you've mentioned your bike list Dave it looks like it's your first twin and first ducati then most of the answers are above but it's one of the few bikes if it doesn't rattle you would be worried. Looks a lovely bike and you should have some great fun riding it

• Like Like x 1
  17. had the same problem with the levers on my 1098s ,swap them for ASV Levers,clutch master cylinder if its the same is also weak swapped mine for an oberon one much better,if its a dry clutch whip the plates out and clean them makes a big difference i found and put them back correctly,dont think the mirrors are meant to work on any ducati apart from a mutley
    cheers

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hi Nikki, try fitting bar end mirrors the same way as in this picture, my Streetfighter is done like it and it works really well :)
    Bare end.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hi and welcome

20. Hello & Welcome

Do Not Sell My Personal Information