1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT First Impressions

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by bradders, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Picked bike up yesterday having been on a my14 1200 S Touring for two years. Loved it, and decided I could only replace it for another one.

Pete1950 met me at WM Snells (great dealer) and kindly took a few pics before we headed off to Loomies to meet a friend. Before we had even got out of Alton, I felt at home and with 8 miles on the clock I pinged it into the roundabout on A31 and all the way around...wow it felt so easy I didnt worry about the fact it had new rubber ;)

Simply put, its as smooth as Swiss Tony and gathers speed like Usain Bolt out the blocks. The skyhook is a step forward, soft like a GS at low speed (std touring mode) but when the pace picks up taught and precise. It feels slower, bit its not, its simply smoother. And the induction roar...no need to bother with another can thanks.

By Loomies (about 12 miles) I had a tiny strip of unused rubber on the edge left and right. By fuel time at 50 miles that was gone.

I see what people mean, it pitches you forward, but the seat has padding (the old low seat didnt) so I find more comfy. I have done nearly 300 miles today and was fine when I got off.

Brakes are better than the past ones too, and the screen easy and clear to read and understand. The controls are easy to figure out and failty intuitive. Bit annoying the clutch is still too far right on the bar so you have a finger stuffed on the egde of the lever. But only when you are using gears and clutch a lot

After nearly 300 miles on twisty fast roads today, Two things are for sure.
    I will be spending far more weekends riding in Wales
    I will need to increase my annual mileage allowance on my insurance

• Like Like x 7
  2. I assume you've got it on the low seat setting? Is it good for you? What difference has it made to you?

3. ;)

#3 Hyperextended, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  4. Yes. Going to take some getting used to, as I now need to worry less about camber and stop looking for kerbs! Another note is it feels lighter to get off the stand. Another bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'd say its more comfy than the previous model.

Done about 400 miles now so better book its first service for soon

image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bike looks great.
    I really want to pull the reflectors and crud catcher off for you though. :D
    Are yours staying on?

7. At first chain adj the catcher will go. Cant be arsed to remove the reflectors yet.

8. ;)

#8 Hyperextended, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. yip looks good. bike mag has a pic of the multi the BMW XR and the other one. the multi looks aggressive xr looks like a cheep multi and feminine the other looked like an alien.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The bike looks a lot cleaner without the pillion footrests as well. Easy to take off, and fill the holes with suitably sized bolts.

11. I've got an XR it's a real tool but the suspension is shite, 'Harsh' I've got a DVT on order now as well, you can never have to many bikes.
    [​IMG]

Great review [emoji106], regardless of all the niggles that some dvt owners are having, it's got one thing above all and that's character.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've noticed it's a lot harder to get it onto the main stand, especially with fully loaded top box and panniers. I think it's a combination of a shorter arm on the stand and no fold out handle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I was told to use the Rear Seat Grab Handle, made it a little easier, but still miss the fold out handle, it was those little things that made the Duc stand out for me sometimes

14. cool. it will make a man of ya!.:smile:

15. 100%. The fold out handle is a loss.

16. I find the pillion handle a bit high. I've also tried using the pillion footrest bracket, but this is a bit low. Definitely miss the fold out handle which was a just the right height for me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information