1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Post, New Member In Cambridge

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by DanSS600, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Hello all,

I am considering buying a 600 Supersport to mess around on when it's sunny. I am not worried about speed or power and I want something with as few electronic systems as possible. Am I doing the right thing?

Dan

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Welcome Dave. Someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Yes you Dave :)

4. It’s ET’s pet name for all new members.

welcome

5. Welcome Dan :):upyeah:just get the nicest 600/750/900 you can find - get a pampered well looked after one and you should be fine :thinkingface: don't over pay, buyers market at the moment...

6. All this decision making is getting me thirsty.;),,welcome aboard.:upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks for the friendly welcome, what do you think about painting the inside of the tank to stop it rusting?

8. Hi and welcome.
    Good you tube restoration on 600ss that you might like to watch. Same principle for all that series of bike.

9. I've watched these videos, I like the simplicity of these older bikes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. welcome dan, to the end of humanity.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Welcome and enjoy

12. Welcome along

13. Welcome to the Forum Dan:upyeah:. IMHO the SS range from that era represents great value for money but if it were me I’d go for a 900 rather than a 600. You may want to sell it at some point in the future and I reckon you’d find a bigger market for the bigger engined bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. as above - the 600 is not much lighter than either the 750 or 900 but with quite a lot less power and torque, so a bit sluggish. I still have a 1992 750 SS which is the only new bike I have ever bought and it will never leave my stable. I did 4 x 2 up continental tours to Italy on it and it has proved to be the most reliable bike I have ever owned, one failed oil pressure sensor switch in 30k miles, far better than its Honda contemporaries at the time, XBR500 and Bros 650. It was put against the garage wall about 10 years ago when the rectifier/regulator started playing up but will be undergoing a full restoration over the next 18 months.
    If you can stretch to it a 750 or 900 is far preferable to the 600. The 900 engine is a peach (I also have a an M900 which is another bike that will not be leaving my stable).
    But things to watch for are
    1. early SS frames sometimes cracked either side of the head stock at the first bend on the top rail. You will have to lift the tank to check, most will have been sorted by now but a low mileage one may not, probably caused by Ducati's frame supplier cold bending the tubes and exacerbated by too hard suspension at the front (900s have adjustable suspension but generally the springs are too hard and the oil needs to be dropped a grade)
    2. leaking tank at the hinge caused by straining the welds when lifting a full tank
    3. Alternator leads connection under the tank on the left hand side, quite often the connector will show signs of over heating - usually caused by this being a poor connection but could be the the reg/rect is suspect.
    4. If it does not tick over properly then it is possible that the slow running jets have seized and cannot be adjusted - these can be a royal PITA to fix, there is a little rubber bung that is supposed to protect them from the elements (located in front of the float bowls) but it has usually gone AWOL and the jets corrode into place and the split when you try to get them out
    5. On early 750s the clutch slave cylinder is part of the clutch casing so beware a soggy clutch on those models
    6. Engine paint is unlikely to be complete
    Great bikes and if you buy a decent one and look after it virtually no depreciation

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Hi Dan, always controversial but if you truly aren't worried about acceleration/top speed then nothing wrong with the 600. There's even a 400SS kicking around in vgc, had one myself and I wish i'd never sold it. Controversial again, but coating inside of tank is to be avoided for me as more trouble than it's worth, even using POR 15 or similar. If you find a sound tank then no reason why it shouldn't stay that way if it's lasted 20 years already.

16. Welcome, if your not used to a bigger bike or racing your mates everywhere the 600 will be fine as they handle very well. They only have a single disc up front so don't stop as well as they could. Enjoy whatever you buy :upyeah:

17. All good info there, thanks. I didn't know about cracks in the frame. It's a sub 20k bike and I am going to see it on Friday - if it's cracked what's the solution?

18. Hi Dan, can't see what you're doing at the moment, but the 600ss seems to be well liked :upyeah:

19. Greetings! A little runabout, simple to ride & maintain - these are attributes high on my list of preferences too. A M900ie fits those requirements to a "T" just with a few more ponies.

Remember that once you've bought the bike and sorted out its problems -and theres always a few- you will probably become just like the rest of us. Which is spending a constant stream of money on the bike in little upgrades, improvements, performance mods, bling... These "mods" will likely bring more money back should you come to sell at some point, on a bike that appeals to a larger market imo.

None of these old bikes should be expensive to buy, so take your time and get the right bike. That said there's nothing wrong with a 600 Supersport on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information