1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 First Ride!:

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Paulr1098, May 5, 2019.

1. 2EAAB686-B223-4BB8-9EEA-6172658D3012.jpeg 949973AC-5339-4424-AAB0-80B3B8E0D9F3.jpeg First ride on the 1098 today - loved it!

Hopeless in town and cramped but once it’s stretching it’s legs - addictive!

Couple of questions:

1. Starting - the servo assisted start is odd, however, it spins over fine (Exiges cables already fitted) but sometimes takes a few attempts when cold, or you have to catch it with the throttle - normal?
    2. It’s fitted with almost new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - I’ve never ran these before - anyone else running them and thoughts?

• Like Like x 6
  2. I’ve had some starting or more accurately idle from start issues before but after a tank of fuel it cleared, I put it down to a crappy batch of fuel as I’ve had no issues since. Obviously this assumes the bike is mapped properly and the TPS set up etc properly at the service

3. Thanks Phill, it’s a new bike to me but there’s extensive paperwork on the work it’s had done. All the setup, ECU mapping etc is documented very well. So, I’m making the assumption that’s all ok ... I hope. You may well be right, there was very little fuel in it when I picked it up, so I’ve treated her to a full tank of some of BPs finest super plus fuel and see how she goes.

4. I have found that if its below 10 degrees it takes a couple of goes at getting it started. To do a correct servo start turn on ignition, make sure your neutral light is on then press and release the start button don't hold it in, touch nothing else the bike will do its own thing. After 2 attempts the bike will abort the start you just simply press and release the start again and it will catch and start.
    That is a super equipped 1098, full 70mm Termis and god knows what else my congratulations on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. The best thing I ever did with mine was change the clutch for a 48 tooth slipper clutch.

5. Thanks for that - not just mine then! Yes, it’s had a lot of money spent on it over the years by the PO. Clutch is standard I think, so will have a look 8nto your suggestion.
    From yesterday’s ride, even in the cold, I can begin to see what it will be like - looking forward to it

6. Amazing bikes looks very clean.

7. Thanks. Yes, it’s been well looked after and holds it’s 12 years well. There’s still a few bits and bobs that need doing but that gives me something to do on the rainy days lol. As it’s raining today, a good polish is in order

8. Tidy looking bike, always love a polished 70mm system!
    Have fun.

9. 5AF6CAAB-7B48-4C3C-9338-B1ACA8A7B245.jpeg Yes, that’s beautiful - polishes up a treat too

Do Not Sell My Personal Information