1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Spirited Ride Today On New To Me 1100s

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Felstmiester, May 25, 2020.

1. Always had sports bikes in the past but due to being an old bastard I brought this. loved it!! The torque, the engine braking into corners. Very happy.
    Few questions if you don’t mind ( had a search but can’t find definite answers)
    Bikes got a single termi system. The previous owner said it’s due to this the yellow light stays on. Also got the little spanner. Is this right and what can be done?
    Also what temp do they run at? I’m going to order new belts, plugs, oil filter & oil and give it a freshen up. What oil you guys using?

cheers in advance

2. The spanner: indicating a service i think - youll need access to a laptop and the tool to get rid of it...ironically this was something i was just about to start playing around with myself....

The yellow light - if its a full termi system are the o2 sensors connected - if they are and its a stock ecu itll be looking for the sensors - hence the light....get a custom map on it and the sensors can be disabled...

Oil: i use silkolene fully synthetic - 10w 40 from recollection....

Temp: you should never see more than 3 bars no matter how hot it gets....ive been stuck in heavy traffic in the middle of summer and its never budged above 3 bars on this one (my evo sp) and last 2 (and s and an evo)

3. Many thanks comfysofa. Yes it’s a full system with no sensors. That’s what the guy said. So it’s nothing to worry about so to speak?
    Also where I’ve been out today and wrung it’s neck a bit I noticed this when I got back. Looks like my sticker is melting???

6364B873-97F4-4E55-8946-8E11F9637811.jpeg

4. Can needs re-packing. The insulation inside is compromised, allowing heat to get at the carbon sleeve and melt the sticker. If you don’t re-pack it soon, the carbon will scorch and go brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. And a new sticker....

It sounds like its running a stock ecu...not good if it is....it really needs to be mapped...running a stock ecu will add to the heat generated...

6. So it’s possible to re pack diy mode?
    And yes comfysofa. I was planning on getting it mapped.

7. mine has a full system and doesn't have the light on........when you switch on does the dash say 'race'......

8. yes packing and rivets are available...

9. Search online (and on here). Videos available on u-bend etc

10. I’ll check but I’d say no.

11. Also who do I speak to about getting these cam belts with a discount as a forum member

12. I've a 2009 Monster 1100S so similar motor, different styling. Contrary to @comfysofa and just FYI I have seen 4 bars on the oil temp but only on a hot day in traffic and they've never stayed there for long, get moving again and it's dropped to 3 bars. From memory you don't need to worry unless you have 5 or even 6 bars:astonished:.

The spanner comes on automatically after each period of xxxx miles to indicate a service is due, regardless of whether you may have serviced it yourself before or after that time. To get rid of it you have to use GuzziDiag or JPDiag (I have to do mine some time, it's been on for 2 services now :( but I just ignore it as I know the bike is OK).

In addition to the yellow EML your should also be able to scroll through the settings on the dash to obtain an error code for the light, or the code will appear on the dash automatically when the light comes on. I'm not sure if there's an exhaust valve on those (yours is 2008 iirc) but if so that may be an issue.

As said above with the Term system you should also have had a different ECU installed and the dash should state RACING scrolling across the screen on ignition turn on.

Did you find a workshop manual yet? Search on here as I'm sure someone's put a link up before.

13. West cork. That makes sense. I have error code LAM 22.2 ( so lambda sensor )
    Also EXVL 23.1, 23.3, 23.5 ( I assume is exhaust valve )

14. Ive got the interactive one but its too big to email....have to be a DropBox jobbie if you want it...

15. Yep- looks like youve got a stock ecu i would say....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Any recommendations for somewhere in Hertfordshire area?

17. Cant say personally - im in Bristol - but - if you travel cjs racing is about 15 mins from me - ducati's are his speciality....hey its a new bike come for a ride down here....! :)

18. @Felstmiester each exhaust should have a Lambda probe screwed into it you can see one hanging off one of my exhausts in the photo. You'll find them in the exhausts in the area around the rear of the tank/front of the seat.

IMG_2666.jpg
    Check whether these are still there or whether the hole for them has been blanked off. If there, have they just been disconnected from the wiring loom? In which case reconnect them. If blanked off are they still connected into the loom and just been stashed away under the tank in which case remove the blanking plug and screw them back in. @comfysofa will be able to give you precise locations for them on the Hyper.

With regards to the EXVL fault (exhaust valve) that will be caused because either:
    - the cable to the servo motor which operates the valve has been disconnected;
    - the entire valve mechanism has been removed and the pipe it sits in, usually where the two pipes merge, has been replaced with a different piece and thus there is no valve for the servo motor to connect to, or,
    - the electrics to the servo motor have been disconnected.

In short the ECU is looking for a reading from the Lambda (O2) sensors in the exhausts and from the exhaust valve servo matter (that it is connected and operational). The ECU isn't get the info it needs so is throwing up the error light on the dash. Neither stop you riding the bike but it's not running at it's optimum efficiency.

I'm guessing a previous owner bought a 2nd hand CF Termi pipe off eBay (which wasn't in the best of condition anyway, hence the breakdown in the internal packing) and then just stuck it onto the bike in a cack handed manner with no thought for what else is required in the upgrade process.

EDIT : I should have added all these issues are easily remediable and, provided you have a little bit of ability with spanners, by yourself.

19. I did spot this under the seat the other day.

E8659E84-1483-4BA7-88B5-F02CE925C986.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information