1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sportclassic/999 Hybrid Track Spanking!

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Connor, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Great day with some mates at Donnington park today!

Good enough weather with only one session missed due to a splash of drizzle that didn't mix well with the Pirelli slicks. Lots learned and the next stage of the build can now begin. Got quite a nasty hot tear on the right hand side that I could feel happening on crainers and out of copse, increased compression damping to stop it squatting and put more air in and it's showed signs of cleaning up. Might take a crack at measuring swingarm angle to see what's going on. Some pictures to enjoy, there's also an onboard video if I can figure out how to put it up

IMG_20180914_153304.jpg

IMG_20180914_141441_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20180914_142828_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20180913_181054.jpg

IMG_20180914_133039_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20180914_072647.jpg

IMG_20180914_125738.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. Almost called in to Dono today, shame I didn’t would’ve been good to see the bike after following your build thread, looks properly ripped up , how many laps before you felt it going?

3. Should've came up and seen the "so.. what is it?" Faces from people aha

I did two sessions at Silverstone, and I started feeling it go around the 3/4th session at donny then really badly 5th then took it easier in the last sessions. I went out after the rain dried and though the track would be cold so adjusted the pressure to suit but the sun came out and it actually got quite warm so the pressure was way off, went out with 21psi and put it upto 26 after I seen what it did.

4. Bad tear was before the adjustment at the second pictures that looks a bit better was with more pressure and more comp damping. Looks to me like it's cleared and little. Certainly felt loads better!

IMG_20180914_153304.jpg

IMG_20180914_164506.jpg

5. You changed pressure and damping, I’d put my money on it being pressure, I can imagine the reaction to the bike, you get a lot of 1000rr boys (usually wearing nasal strips) at Dono so anything without a blue and white badge just confuses them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Funny you should say that... One of the guys I was with was on an s1000rr and he had exactly the same problem. Not as bad but still not great, I'll just do Rockingham, left sides fine

7. Good to meet you. I was in the same garage on the Blue/White/Red ZX10R
    Your bike is a thing of beauty

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good to meet you too bud! Never got a chance to steal those gorgeous wheels of yours

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. From what I understand it's all temperature related rather than pressure. Cold tear is because the tyre carcass isn't hot enough so the rubber gets ripped off the surface which is why it looks so brutal. Hot tear is when the rubber is literally melting away away from the tyre from it overheating. I think my problem was a hot tear, so I upped the pressure to stop tyre deformation and stop it generating so much heat. I also added compression damping to stop it squatting so much and hopefully make the bike stand up more and put more weight on the front tyre.

I did a suspension course a while back and he was saying that some tyres are the opposite. So with pirelli you add pressure to reduce temperature because it's such a soft carcass the tyre deformation generates alot of heat, and with Michillen (I think...I'm not 100% sure) it's the other way round, it uses the contact patch size to control the temperature. If it's a small contact patch it can't disapate the heat to the ground so it overheats, likewise if it's too large it transfers too much heat and doesn't get hot enough.

I could be very wrong but that's the way I understand it. :)

10. Sorry, I skim read, you did say hot tear which would mean pressure to low.

Have you seen this before?:
    https://www-ducati-ms.cdn.ampprojec...om/29693-determining-best-tire-pressures.html

• Like Like x 1
  11. Interested in point on tyres being the opposite remedy. Not comes across that before.

12. I did a suspension course with Reactive Suspension and the guy who runs it has done some work with Michelin which makes me think it was that brand. It was an excellent course and I highly recommend it, unfortunately I can't remember exactly what causes this. There was so much to take in that I didn't think anything of it until the other day when I had that bad wear. Hoping to do a refresher course soon.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Another thing to try :upyeah:

14. It's all black magic/voodo, like central heating.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. I've just messaged the Gareth from Reactive to confirm. I don't want to give the wrong information, I'll get back on the subject when he responds :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Just had word back from Gareth at Reactive, here's what we spoke about;

Screenshot_20180916-203519.jpg

Screenshot_20180916-203550.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. The tyre wear you had initially is common at Donington if you have pressures/suspension settings wrong. It seems to highlight the issues more than say Cadwell which is easier on tyres.

I tend to find if I get a good setting at Donington it nearly always works elsewhere for me within reason.

18. Hi Connor

Amazing looking bike - can you post a link to the build thread please? I did a search but couldn't find it.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Makes sense, given Michelin ruin 22 or less rear where opirelli tend to be 24-28 on track race rubber.

My question~; cold tear, does that mean with Michelin you lower the PSI, with Pirelli you increase it?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information