1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Track Bike

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Cream_Revenge, Sep 8, 2017.

1. seems ok, but see that price going up somewhat

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Why not just the srad?

3. Are you talking about a full-on track-only bike?
    IMO you will do the following with a track bike - razz the knackers off it, scare yourself a bit, load it into and out of vans, drop it, scuff it, blow it up, throw it down the road etc.
    So you want something robust and easy to work on.

I have a cbr600 steelie which seems to me about perfect (but then I would say that wouldn't I?)
    for any track bike, I would ask - can you get bits for it (rearsets/bodywork, exhausts etc)? Is there a body of knowledge on how to set it up for the track? Is it small enough to make manhandling it easy (but big enough for you to be comfortable on)? Is it reliable when lightly tuned/abused in the way that track bikes are

I think that flavour of fireblade will be fine - it seems a bit cheap, I'd want to be comfortable that it was only cosmetic damage

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. And imho if track only but one that is already a track bike. Likely suspension will have been sorted, bodywork fitted etc. Save on time and hassle and cost

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Think main point of OP is:- this looks like a cheap bike, little bit of work, and got a bike I can use around the track, to see if I like it.
    If it stays that cheap (It will not) then not a lot to lose, and if you do not like it can put it back on the road.
    One thing does worry me a little re that AD, never mentions if it Runs fine etc????

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. A: I have a big emotional tie to it so don't really want to track it properly
    B: lack of "grunt" does my head in

7. If it's a spares/repairs write off that doesn't look that cheap. Even in good nick and 25k miles they are just 2k

8. get ya self a k2 1000, just so happens i know of a well soreted one!! :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Use the revs, that's what they have to have, even a blade.

Or get a k1 1000

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Other option would be to convert the 999 to a track bike as it's well sorted (even if she does eat tyres........) and then use the 996 on the road but the 999 is such a great road bike and it seems a shame to track such a future classic........

11. Or just carry on using it as you are road and track...

12. never make a trackbike out of something you aren't prepared to sling up the road
    as for grunt, I would second the comment about revs. On a good lap I never let the steelie drop below (sensitive ducati readers may wish to look away now) 9-10k revs (although in the interests of full disclosure I usually balls up the chicane and let the revs drop there...). Modern litre bikes are usually used by people with road (and car-based) sensitivities. keep it pinned to near the redline and you'll find a very different animal...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Nope, i'm due a drop.........

14. So bag some cheap fairings, dump the lights, engine, swing arm and forks protection and job done. Less than £500. If you can, grab some extra wheels for wets. All in a grand. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. That Blade just sold for £971.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Hmm less than I expected, take it you not buy?

17. If I didn't have my gsxr I'd bang some race fairings on my 1198. If you stay near your limit on track your be OK. More likely to crash on the road than track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. No. Irritating thing is if I'd raised the subject a few minutes earlier with the wife I think I'd have got a green light......

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. rather annoying then :(

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information