1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 First Year Thoughts And Review.

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by H2pots, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Here's a review and my thoughts of the first year running a base model hyper 939....

What i like.....
    The handling... Whilst you're not going to do massive speeds on an hyper, this bike excels in the twisties. Hypers aren't designed to do 135mph TT laps but come into their own being chucked about, the tighter and twistier it gets, the more the hyper delivers.... It's basically an hooligan tool

The power... A well tried and tested engine that delivers plenty of fun, useable power through a surprising amount of revs. The motor shares more of a feeling with my (now sold) 1198 than my other bike which is an air cooled 1100 monster. Well, I say that, but the 1198 was/is intoxicatingly barmy and a real experience to ride but you get what i mean.

The looks.... Hypers have a love or loathe look, I like the 'in your face' look.

What i don't like....
    The standard exhaust... Hideous, heavy carbuncle bolted to the side.

The seat height... it's bloody tall, good job it's light but the best way is to shuffle right or left and get one foot firmly planted on the floor.

What I've changed....
    The exhaust, akrapovic slip on silencer, no change in performance or running but looks and sound improved no end. Termi was not an option as the termi is high level and i need to get throw over panniers on. I'm happy with this. There has been no performance improvement or (more importantly) detriment to fitting the akrapovic slip on can.

Seat scalloped to lower seat height. Not a lot of difference, the main problem with the seat height is the width of the subframe splaying your legs out. I've got more and more used to accommodating the lofty seat height.

Evo tech rad guard, engine guard, oil cooler guard and tail tidy. Excellent quality bits that finish this bike off nicely. Imo better quality than the dp items and a lot less in price.

If I could get rid of the mirrors on stems and revert back to flip out mirrors i would, this kind of bike suits the clean lines that the old hyper had with regards to mirrors.

To sum up...
    I'm loving riding this bike, it's a real hoot once you grab it by the scruff of the neck. I'm happy with the things I've put on and plan to just ride and enjoy it now. My arse can take about 70 miles of being sat bolt upright but that's fine as I'm usually looking for petrol before 100. A brew, smook and a laugh & giggle every 70/80 miles is fine with me.

There are a couple of things I've learnt about riding the hyper though. I've seen a lot of mention of poor running at lower revs, I've not had the ecu mapped and this is what I've found....
    The fuelling can be particularly snatchy in sport mode. I've found it much more palatable in tour mode. This bike directs you to using the modes and not ignoring them. Sport mode is great for thrashing only, when you're going to ring it's neck, put it in sport mode and there's no fuelling issues. Once you're done, drop it into tour mode and the ride is much more compliant.
    Also, make sure your chain is adjusted correctly, the snatchy ride is even worse with a slack chain. Mine decided to bed in & loosen up at the tt and became a pig, I took the tools to adjust the chain correctly and it felt much much better.

It's a great toy to take out when the mood takes you. It's not for massive mile munching days or is it built to take a pillion, yes, she can get on the back but the pillion set up is pure after thought. I have done all my trips on the hyper this year though (TT, classic TT and Spain/France), and enjoyed the riding. I've done over 3500 miles on it this summer and had a real blast.I

Hyper's aren't built to be comfy, practical or a jack of all trades. Imo they're built to put a massive grin on your face every time you go out.. They're a toy, and what a toy they are!

I'll be keeping this one, running, riding and enjoying all it has to offer for the foreseeable future but it's no future classic in my opinion but that makes no difference to me, I'll run it until if or when i decide to swap it.

It does have a fantastic baaarp with a baffle free akrapovic

20180914_112647_kindlephoto-11013802.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Great review from someone who's owned a standard Hyper. Everywhere you look people always move onto the SP and review them together! Hope you continue to enjoy it.

3. my views of my 2015 821 Hyper are pretty similar. Love it. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information