1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting A Rally Tower

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by wolfram, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Hi All,

I have an old 796 I use as a commuter and was wondering if anyone has tried to fit a rally tower to one of these? I'm toying with the idea of taking it on a tour that will include some off-road/tracks.

The alternative is to chop it in and buy a yamaha tenere 700

• Like Like x 1
  2. Exactly!

My plan might be to fit the 22L petrol tank and some sort of fairing to hold gps etc. might need to change the gearing to 43T rear sprocket as well - not sure about that.

I am having a test ride on an aprillia tuareg today and a DesertX on Monday - but id really rather keep the hyper, as my garage is small and these 'adventure bikes' are absolutely huge!

The hyper is a brilliant commuter, but I want to go on some long trips carrying gear and its not up to that in current guise.

3. There’s a few “universal” rally towers available but it might be wise just to fit a tall screen, quad lock phone holder and phone power cable/usb.

4. The headstock is so close. Difficult to see GPS mounted that close

5. KTM 790/890 adv
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Aprilia Tuareg
    BMW 850gs
    Husqvarna Norden

All of the above have similar proportions to a hyper but more distance/off road built in design. Don’t forget if you do keep and ‘convert’ your hyper for off road you’re cursed by the smaller front wheel which will limit your off road tyre options and the closeness of the front mudguard to the tyre. You’ll possibly want to consider putting +20mm risers under the bars to add a little comfort too.

6. Good points. However, I don't really want to go true 'off road' (very little unpaved road in UK). I want to carry luggage and do tours.

Had a test ride on Aprillia Tuareg on Friday. Very disappointing compared to the Hyper. Hardly any torque, no engine braking, huge wind buffeting and pins and needles in my hands from vibration. No idea why reviewers don't mention these things.

Going to ride a desertx tomorrow, but worried about size in my small garage. All these bikes are massive

#7 wolfram, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  7. Ok, in your first post you’d proposed off road/tracks.

Tuareg giving away a fair bit of displacement and possibly 20kgs heavier than you air cooled 796. I owned a Hypermotard 796 a couple of years ago found it to be great fun except on touring distances, seat uncomfortable lacked a screen and underpowered compared to later models.

Given your constraints and needs I’d suggest a Hyperstrada 939 or a Hypermotard and convert it a little.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well, test rode the desert x on Monday. Nice bike! had some decent grunt, quite flickable, ate speed bumps for breakfast.

Too off-roady for my needs though, and a bit too civilized. I'm 6ft1" and the seat felt tall in traffic. I found myself not taking opportunities to filter through queues I would normally take on the Hyper. Exhaust was very quiet, that can be fixed with aftermarket I suppose.

One of the key things I wanted the bike for was to mount GoPro and satnav - bizarrely, they have no attachment points for these things, and the space behind the screen is all molded - i can't even see where aftermarket stuff could be attached.

Afterwards, I took out a triumph scrambler XE1200 - now this is a pulling machine. nearly as much fun as the hyper when opening up the throttle. good engine braking as well. lovely sound. found it great in traffic, slipped to the head of the queue no problem. However, I just can't gel with the hipster looks. I don't think it's me. Might try the scrambler 1100 next, slightly less hipster perhaps?

In the meantime, I've bodged up a satnav mount on the hyper and ordered a quadlock system (which could be transferred to the new bike if needed). Pictures will follow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The 1100 is no less hipsterish but a none the less all round nice looking bike.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information