1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Closer Spring.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hughdg, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Trying to fit a closer spring on an ST4. Made up a forked tool from an old screwdriver but can't get the leg of the spring behind the lug on the head. Did all of them on my 748 some years ago but that was with the heads on the bench, this one is on the bike. It's the R/H inlet on the horizontal cylinder so I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad to do but after a couple of hours I'starting to wish I'd taken the head off but the price of a top end set is putting me off.
    Anyone got useful tips or tricks to get the job done?

2. I can't remember Hugh, hopefully someone will be able to describe help in words but I think this is one of those "need to be there" challenges, a sit down with a cup of Tea and I bet you come up with the ingenious answer. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Correct Chris, my Ingenious answer has been to lose my patience, take the head off and do it on the bench. o_O

• Like Like x 1
  4. Done, still a bastard job but at least the clearances will be easier and quicker to check and adjust now. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes, an absolute bastard of a job. A couple of years ago, a friend with an ST4s accidentally pulled two of the closer rocker pins instead of the opening ones. He then called on me to help get them back in again. It took me about 2 hours to get the first one back in place. I tried various tools and ended up using a long screwdriver with a V filed in the end of it but the trick was to put a 45º bend in it about 2" from the tip. This enabled me to manipulate the end of the spring onto the lug, since it's behind the rocker you can't see it. The second spring was on in less than 5 minutes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Thankfully the other head is OK and just needs clearances checking and adjusting. Three hours wasted trying to do it on the bike which makes the £65 (Inc postage) for a single head gasket a little easier to swallow although I'm not the one paying for it. Thanks for the tip about putting a bend in the end of the screwdriver @Derek, I'll try that next time. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information